Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap - Sign Up - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2002, 08:00 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Thanks again

Glad you liked the flies, hope the rest like them too.

I fished the Niagara about 6 years ago. Fished te NY side and awent with friend into te Ontario side. The fish I cauhgt sure looked lke Atlantics and the nice old gent I encountered on the bank near the town of Niagara NY on the Niagara river told me they were Atlantics. I boought my license, had my regs, but had no idea of what an Atlantic loked like. I had my buddies fly rod (too bad he had to work while I visited hiim in NY) and went down to he river. I was WAY unprepared. Hhe had al steelhead gear and big bushy winterrun flies for fishing the OlyPen. He hadn't fished there yet. Luckily this old man gave me some insight anda few flies. Hhe was using a very old bamboo spey rod (well, it loked like one, same type of handle but only about 11' long). He told me there was atlanics (I was told there were salmon in the river at the local sporting goods shop I bought my license) The flies worked like a charm, and the ish looked similar to king, just different spots and configuration. He told me they were atlantics and I tok his work for it. Do they have kings planted i that river? Could've been a funky king. Loked identicle to the the atlantis I cuaught in Olalla when th netpens broke a couple years ago. Any Niagara fisherman in here? Any insight on what runs in the niagara? Mmaaybe its'a morphed king?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2002, 09:24 AM

The Blue Bayou looks like a salmon streamer type fly to me. Will give it a go out here when the proper scenario presents itself.

I know they have steelhead and king and probably coho salmon in the Niagara. But atlantic salmon may be a Zipperlip type scenario. Were not aware of them being there but they have been stocked by Canada, Michigan, Ohio, and maybe New York state through out the Great Lakes over the last 100 years.

Atlantic Salmon were native to Lake Ontario and maybe Lake Erie at one time.

Michigans program has not been successful. Not stocked them in the PM in late 70s when I fished for them, very few were ever caught except out in Lake Michigan.

Sounds like that old fellow has a good thing going and your were very lucky to have met him. We better not talk about much more open on the net.

Have to check it out further.

Thanks

Hal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2002, 10:03 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
The 15th (deadline) has come and gone. Are there just the four of us? If so, do we want to make any changes - say we each tie 2 flies?
bill
Old 01-16-2002, 10:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I would love to participate but am way too busy to do so until a later date. I can't promise any mixed wings for a swap but I can definitely whip up some traditionals. If you guys move the date out let me know, otherwise I look forward to seeing the recipes and images as a spectator.

Striblue... if they push back the date are you in this one too?

Old 01-16-2002, 05:23 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
OK, where do I send the flies?
bill
Old 01-16-2002, 05:53 PM

One more ?

I just finished doing the trout swap flies, if it's not too late I'll do this one as well,
Ally's Shrimp OK?
Where do I send the flies?
Old 01-16-2002, 05:56 PM

Lightbulb Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap - Due Date

The Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap Due Date was changed to Feb 28th in my 1/1 post within this thread.

Lets make the sign up date deadline February 8th. Will then determine the number to tie by each person. Limited to ten people max. Tie what ever type AS pattern you like, those not in the books are most appreciated (Like Steelheader69's).

Hoping we would get more people to participate than just the current 4 people. They are Willie Gunn, Steelheader69, WRKE, and PMFLYFISHER.

I received Steelheader 69's flys last week.

Juro and Striblue and all others advise if you would like to particpate ? Think the other fly swaps on this board will be over by end of January.

Send the flies and tying instructions to following following address:

Hal Eckert
5504 W. Oak Center Drive
Oak Lawn, IL
Old 01-29-2002, 03:54 PM
Flats Rat

Hal, I would have participated but am committed on both the Saltwater and Pike Fly (what was I smoking:hehe: ) swaps.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:25 PM

Hal -

You forgot to include Frenchcreek in your count!

Since you were good enough to move the deadline out you can count me in for hairwing salmon flies, Speys, Dees or traditional tubes, etc. I don't think I can commit to mixed wings right now or I will be doomed to failure to meet the schedule.

That makes 6 people so far...

While on the topic, and not directed at anyone in particular:

A few notes on swaps...

It's a misconception that the number of flies must match the people participating. Not everyone has to get a fly from everyone else, just the number they sent in.

The meister is typically responsible for scanning or photographing the flies for submitting to the archive. If this is a problem, just send them to someone who volunteers to do the imaging and forward them to the meister for distribution. You can always use me for a image broker for any swap we do on the forum.

Once the images are created, the tyer posts the image and the recipe themselves on the fly pattern archive. In this manner, each can express things about the fly and others can ask questions, etc. The pattern and knowledge is then saved for future readers.

Always tie one for the meister.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:11 AM

Juro,

OK, good will do a recount and reconfirmation to every one is Strblue in on this also ?

Hal
Old 01-30-2002, 05:22 AM

Not sure, you're the meister so you gotta keep count

thanks for doing this Hal!
Old 02-04-2002, 06:48 PM

Talking Final - Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap Schedule

As per previous posts the deadline for the flies to me is
February 28th the following people are in the swap:

1. Pmflyfisher
2. Steelheader 69 - Flies received (11)
3. Juro
4. Frenchcreek
5. Wrke
6. Willie Gunn

Unless we get 4 more people by this weekend to make ten participants as originally planned lets do 7 flies per participant. One for each other participant and one for the Swapmeister me.

So 7 flies each is due by Feb 28th to me who will then distribute to every one. See my home address in previous post above.

If any more people want to participate, possibly some of those new spey fisherman coming over from the other board they are welcome.

Max of ten people though to participate.

I will send a final message this weekend of the participant count this weekend to every one, watch this thread.

Any type of atlantic salmon pattern is good. Hairwing, spey, traditional, tube, etc....

Advise of questions, etc..

Hal

P.S. Jerry since you already sent in your ten if we do not get ten participants I will keep your extras and send you some of my special michigan steelhead ties in yours to make up the difference. You will get at least 10 flies back, who knows I may even empty my fly wallets on you. Man do I have to many flies now. Been tying a lot this winter.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:56 PM

Gone!

sent 7 today...
If we get to ten, I'll send 3 more
Old 02-04-2002, 08:06 PM

French Creek

OK, will be looking for them.

Hal
Old 02-05-2002, 03:20 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Thanks Hal

No problem on the flies. Hey, if you want to start dumping fklies on me, go for it. I won't be complaining. LOL

Hope those flies work for you. Let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.