SA reels for spey rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2001, 03:44 AM

SA reels for spey rods

Does anyone know if the SA System2 or the Mastery reels make good spey reels?I am looking at the 10/11 and the 12/13 sizes.I've heard the SA reels are pretty durable and reasonably inexpensive.I have a 14ft 9/10 rod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2001, 05:08 AM
Flats Rat

Tony, I used SA reels in those sizes for years. They are pretty rugged and put up with a lot of abuse and neglect. My only concern, the caliper drag would occaisionally dis-engage on a hard running bonefish and the spool would go into free-spin - big risk of overrun and major birds nest in the backing. This was probably a result of my neglect rather than a design fault.

I've heard that steel head run pretty hard too?

I would look at the Redingtons - much lighter and a better piece of engineering.

Just my 2c.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:48 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
SA reels are a thumbs up here

Yo know, Ii've heard about SA reels doing the disc popping, but none of mine have ever done it. Ii have twwo older reels (one iis actualy a Hardy maade SA reel) the other loks llike most newer models, just a bit different. Then I haave a couple newer models. I currently run a SA system 2 1011 on my 14' 9wt. Holds my RIO WC 91011 no problem with plenty of backing. So far I've hhad no pprblems with th system 2's. BUT, the system 2L is another story. Have had some problems with teh interanl plastic parts they've put in. But, you're looking in the biger sizes anyways, so it should be no problem at all. Iif you haave the money, Ii'd recomendd the SA's. My system 2 7/8 has been nothiing but a trooper on big stelies.
Old 12-28-2001, 01:53 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Tony,

I blew up one of these (while fighting a 40 lb chinook in the salt - I was mooching). While they are decent, I think there are alot of other choices out there that may be better suited for your speyrod, for instance the Reddington you are asking about. I also use the Lamson - L7, once again a good reel at a good price.

Still Living Large!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.