hatch brats and other things..... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2001, 03:48 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Cool hatch brats and other things.....

First Skagit winter run hatchery fish caught at Lyman bar the day before xmas. Grandpa bar-b-qued the 8 pounder up for dinner that afternoon. Mmmmmm goooood! There is one good thing about hatch brats, they taste good off the barby.

Some native fish showing up also. Heard Ed Ward (who else) got one at Grandy a week or so ago.

Lots of hatchery fish being caught above Concrete. Hatchery reports 70 to 80 fish coming in per day. I hope the large hatchery returns is a sign of things to come.:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2001, 04:03 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Its been wonderful...

Was hoping to get out today but I was pretty beat from the past few days so I slept in. I then decided what the Hell...might as well go throw the 9140 around for a few hours this afternoon but today has turned into one of those get your oil changed, wash your car run errands sort of day!! Damn responsibilities!!!!
Old 12-26-2001, 07:42 PM

Divorce, Spey Style.

Ryan,

Now you know why you shouldn't get 'involved" with Spey rods until you're "older." High divorce rate; Wife/2hander ... Wife/2 hander.

Call the Atty.

Married to Joan for a lot of years .... but she doesn't "understand." But her focus is (I guess) is he could be in dark bars with 'women of questionable repute' or on the river. Her choice ..... usually Poochie with me on the beach.

Gotta get that Gal's head checked.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:08 AM
Mod

Fred-
I am happily single so I have little worry (at this point in my life) of how Spey rods effect divorce rates.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Amen to that Ryan.. keep them rings away from my fingers!!!
on the other hand college can be just as bad!!
Old 12-27-2001, 11:15 PM
Mod

or fishing can be detrimental to college as in my case.

This Fall was the worst...I kept thinking about fishing and worried more about what days I could fish during finals weeks I got all screwed up and thought my ESC 110 final was Friday when it was actually Wendsday. I didnt find out until Thursday. I was so upset I couldnt concentrate to study for my QSCI 281 final and couldnt concentrate during the actual test.

So I've got a 0.0 for Fall Quarter which means there goes my tuition from my parents and my finacial aide (which pays my debts, bills etc.) for winter quarter.

It my life over??? No. But are my hopes and dreams?? Yes!!

Now to pay off my bills, buy a driftboat, learn the sticks, become a guide so I can do what I can to support myself...
Old 12-28-2001, 09:09 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Ryan,

I know of a fly shop owner that is looking for a full time guide. He says he will supply the boat and the clients. He thinks he could keep a guy busy most of the year. You might want to talk to him if you are serious about the guide biz. Send me an email if you want to know more.

kerrystr@wilderconstruction.com

Kerry
Old 12-28-2001, 09:31 AM

Hey Ryan,

You got to go back to school. I hate to say that to anyone but you have important work to do in the future.
We need young people like you doing the research needed to enhance our rivers and oceans.

We got plenty of guides but not enough folks who will stick with the objective of changing the current system. If you would finish school you would have the opportunity to do the needed changes from within.

Plead with your parents for another chance, tell them you have an addiction that you are treating. Turn all of your rods over to me until you graduate and get a proper job.

Really hope you find away to graduate, we need you out there.
OC
Old 12-28-2001, 09:56 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan -

We look at some of the guide legends out there as almost immortal, and some of them are, but what they do depends on the dedication of others who protect the resource.

Anyone who can fish and host others can be a guide. But how many of us can make a difference in the state of the fisheries by having the kind of passion you have with the conviction, dedication to make something happen?

It all starts with your conviction to the cause. We all know you have it. Don't sell yourself short, do it while the timing is right. Can't you apply summer class credits to catch up?
Old 12-28-2001, 10:40 AM

Ryan,

Ask your parents if they want you living at home when you are thirty? If not YOU need to come up with a plan to figure this out and provide a couple of viable options. Financially and mentally school can be a burden. But there are always solutions availble. I don't know anyone who said it was not worth the efford. I know when in college the more hours I worked the better my grades became as I was forced to schedule time tightly.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:45 AM
Flats Rat

Ryan, dont give up on your hopes and dreams! Listen to the other guys, they are absolutely right.

I know how you feel, I was in a similar position in my late teens and early twenties.

You will find both the means and motivation to complete your degree and whatever comes after. I know. I did - although I would never have believed it at the time. That was nearly 25 years ago and life has been pretty good since then. Sure there are ups and downs but experience is a painful process - wether its frustration with rising fish or making the occaisional wrong choice. You come out of these situations stronger and wiser. Trust me, you will too!
Old 12-28-2001, 11:37 AM
LBFF Mojo

Hey Ryan,

I don't really know you but will give you my take on the situation. I am still relatively young at 25 and did drop out of college after my third year. I was pre-med and thought my hopes and dreams included being a doctor. I got involved in doing prostate cancer research and published a bunch of papers but the work was not as fulfilling as I thought it would be. I just didn't feel like I was doing the right thing for me at the time and in retrospect I feel it was the right decision. I then taught myself to program and got hooked up with amazon.com and the rest is history. I really enjoy it and would have never known if I had not dropped out. Now I have enough experience where the degree does not matter as much. So things have worked out to an extent.

However I have new dreams which include going back to school and finishing my degree but this time marine biology. I think I went to school to early and went in there without truly knowing what I wanted to do with my life. Realistically who does at 17. I think if I would have found my love of fishing at a younger age the decision on what I wanted to do would have been cake.
Now I am ready to go back and think about it everyday and wish I was in the position to drop everything and go to school. Unfortunately I now have bills, a fiancee, and plans to move out of the state and school is still a distant dream.

So even though things have worked out in life I still regret not finishing up that last year of college and getting my biology degree at least. That would make getting my degree in marine biology that much closer. I now regret my decision earlier in life which is not a feeling I like having.

Sorry for the rambling but here is my point. School is not the answer to everything. You do not necessarily need a degree to do what you want but it sure helps. Unlike my case it sounds like you know what you want to do and guiding really is not it. Follow your dreams while you get the chance cause unlike guiding they might not always be there. Life goes by to quickly not to do what you dream. Yeah you may have to give up some things to get there (maybe cut down fishing) but once you get there you can do whatever you damn well please.

Fishing is a wonderful and a great passion to have. However, you do need to reacess things though if it is getting in the way of your life. No matter what anybody tells you fishing is not life. A big part of it yes but there is so much more out there that needs to be experienced. Don't corner yourself now at such a young age. Life really starts to suck when you have no options.

-sean
Old 12-28-2001, 11:37 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Ok Ryan, from the responses I see here the guide job is not available to college students.

If you know of someone that would like to guide let me know.

KLS
Old 12-28-2001, 12:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Ryan I just love beating dead horses so here it goes. I agree with the above posters. One bad semester at college should by no means be the end of your schooling! I am not saying you need to be back in there this next term, all I am saying is that don't let a minor setback or even a major one derail you from your dreams. You have a lot to contribute. From our conversations I can see that you are intelligent and resourceful. In my mind you'd be a major asset to WDFW or any other agency.
Even without your parents to pay your way it is still very possible for you to finish successfully your degree. My sister for instance while working full time and raising 2 kids is working on her degree to become a veterinarian. I should also mention that my lame brother in law doesn't work and hasn't had a steady job for the last 10 years.. if she can do it a young single guy like yourself can do it.
Now I am not saying you shouldn't go get a boat and a guides license but if you do do that I think you should look at it as a means to an end not the end itself. LOTS!!!!! of guys in Montana guide in the summers to put themselves through college.
I just think if this is truly your dream you should pursue it until you are satisfied. Failing is ok. Giving up because you fail is not. Life is too short to worry about doing everything right. You WILL make mistakes in life some of them might be big ones, but life still goes on. It is not the events of our lives that dictate how we live it is our responses to those events.
If being a steelhead biologist is your dream then that is what you should pursue. Wether it's now, next year or 5 years from now. It really does not matter. There is one person and one person only who needs to be satisfied with your life.. YOU!
Now smile pick up your rod head down to the North fork fish a while and think about how wonderful it is to be alive , living in the northwest and to care about something so much that you want to dedicate your life to studying it and trying to provide for it's welfare. The do what's right for you at the time that is right for you.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:18 PM
Chief of E.P.

Ryan,

I know you never listen to me but I will give it another go. I have kicked you ass so hard and so often because 1) you needed it and 2) you have what it takes to make a difference. While I agree with Sean's advice that college isn't always the answer, it does open doors.

It is easy to get caught up in the romance of being a guide and fishing all the time. Before you jump into it though, take the time to talk to some of the good ones. Call up Rob or Bob or any of the others you know and talk to them about what they think. First off, it is hard work. Next throw in the fact that you don't fish but instead watch your clients hopefully catch fish. If they don't then you might never get them back. Oh yeah, those same clients may be the best people on earth but they also could end up being the most belligerent a-holes around. Either way, you need to kiss their backside.

Finally, take a look at the recent trends in river closures and factor that into plans to pay off that driftboat, sled and/or new pickup. Oh and did I mention that there are a ton of guides out there all trying to capture a limited number of customers?

Please Ryan, find a way to get back to classes. After you get that sheepskin, then if you want, take a try at guiding. If nothing else, that degree will come in handy when marketing yourself.

Duggan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.