Old Timer Legacy - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2001, 01:41 PM

Old Timer Legacy

Men,

I've had this thought cooking for a while about old photos and past trips. It would be cool to have some ancient pictures of our past trips. Ones that were special to each of us. Good friends, good fishing (or not), good places- etc. This could show the continuation of the fishing traditions in our country and beyond. I for one would like to see a collage of our history. We could throw up a shot or 2 in it's own thread so they do not get too big.

Further:
I tend to hate to get involved too much and am a procrastinater that hates to follow through. But, that said, if there is motivation we could compile some html page for the site here with some of these interesting images. Otherwise, if that's silly and too organized (hate to have my fishing get "too" organized), the heck with it. Just dig around for something interesting and fling it up.
Anyone got any Ripogenous Dam shots?
BTW, if you don't have access to a scanner, you can send them to me. Just email me for the address. It's something to help with the winter anyway.

Here's some shots dear to me of one particular trip. My brother Jon and I decided to take a float plane out of Moosehead Lake up into the Alagash for some native fishing. Enjoy.

Here's the plane:

Here's my brother Jon with a nice native brookie (Square Tail):

Here's our ride home, arriving at camp(Hey is that Juro waiting on the dock in his white flats shirt?):

Last edited by Lefty; 12-26-2001 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2001, 01:50 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great idea! I'll gladly put the html together for this. I'll dig deep into my photo albums and my parent's albums too, should be some old memories in there.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:49 PM
President of CAC

I will dig up some old ones of me in Northern Quebec.. Pimples, Thick eyeglass frames with white tape around the bridge, and adams apple... and French Canadian hat. But there will be fish in them also.

Last edited by striblue; 12-26-2001 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2001, 05:05 PM

I probably have a few "ancient" pictures lying around as well. So I'll send some along. PS
I think Stripblue is in one of them, from Quebec. I always wondered who that stranger was that kept showing up at all my best brookies spots.....
Old 12-26-2001, 05:37 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Father and Son and Big Blues...

On one fine summer day during my tenth year, my enjoyment of what would one day be labeled mountain biking took a turn for the worse - literally and figuratively. I recall a steep descent, a fallen log, the view of my handlebars as I sailed over the cold blue hand brakes, the blurred vision of an old stump that was quickly increasing in size and then the flash of light. A mere 36 stitches later I was almost back to my former self...but only time would heal the physical and mental wounds that I suffered from that day.

A month or so after my accident I was in better spirits. On one fine Saturday afternoon the excitement of having my stitches removed got me out of bed with a start. Today was the day! My father, noticing my nervous energy and my impatience to have the stitches removed, knew that he needed to distract me for a few hours before my appointment at South Shore Hospital. He had the antidote for my anxiety - a little fishing.

My Dad has always had a finger on the pulse of the shore fishing situation near Boston and he knew that the blues were in Quincy Bay. So we rigged up the surf gear and headed to Wollaston Beach. We pulled into the lot around 10 AM - only to discover a massive bluefish blitz well within casting range of the beach. I will always remember the first blue that we hooked that day. My dad was fishing a topwater plug and after a few explosive misses the fish was on and it was none too happy about it either. My Dad handed me the rod and said, "Hold on tight, keep the tension on him." I dutifully obeyed. I was a heavy 10 year old (a bit thicker waisted than I am now - at age 26) and this blue was still pulling me towards the surf. After many long runs I beached the fish. One for the grill and just the adrenaline rush that I needed to forget about my stitches. The action continued as we beached many massive blues in the next 2 hours. What an awesome day on the water for both my Dad and for me.

After a few hours my arms were certainly tired out but my youthful enthusiasm was not. I was ready for more! However, it was time for a trip to the hospital. As the plastic surgeon clipped the stitches under my nose we talked about my fishing adventures. We soon realized that he had seen us fishing as he drove along Wollaston Beach on his way to the hospital. We joked about how he could have removed the stitches right on the beach and I certainly wished that he had done just that.

After the trip to the hospital we stopped by the now defunct Bra-Wey Sport Shop and had Red weigh some of the blues. One of the beasts weighed in at over 16 pounds - gutted. Who knows how many more giants we released. What a blitz and what a day...

Now, this day is but a pleasant memory. A memory that I will cherish forever and a memory that my Father and I often chat about as we string up our fly rods and head to the Cape. Many thanks to the man that taught me how to fish, that once told me that I would never spin fish again after I picked up a fly rod, that taught me what it means to be a great man and a great Father.

Last edited by doogue; 12-26-2001 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:16 PM

Nice!
Old 12-26-2001, 08:22 PM

I believe that I have some of the area. I think most are video tape. When I was running around the logging roads. Quite a few pictures also of the Rangley area, one of my favorite places was Rapid River. I have a great video I took of a large moose as it ran into the woods, when I looked at it when I got home, in the video there was a large deer, or elk looking at me which I did not see. I say maybe an elk as that year the State of Maine released some elk in the area. Great idea Lefty.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Let's be fair guys ANCIENT is a relative term. I'm (only) pushing forty and any relevent artifacts may not go too far back. Anyhoo, this sounds like fun. I think I can come up with some really rustic fishing camps my brother and I hacked out of the North Maine Woods way back in the OLD days. Evidence to follow.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:01 AM
President of CAC

Love the pictures... especially of Jim... I have some with my youngest son about 10 years ago with the same type of assortment of blues. One is on the wall at CAC.. I have a scanner now since Xmas Day and will learn how to use it to post some pictures.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:39 PM

I tried today to get some pictures off of video tape, My 8mm camcorder quit working, the VCR quit 2 years ago, all that tape, no way to show it.
Brighter side, New Years resoultion, Take one of my youngest Grandsons fishing more often this coming year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chris1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	50  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.