Spinner flies- Lures or flies? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

View Poll Results: Spinner flies- Lures or flies?
Lures 16 88.89%
Flies 1 5.56%
Lure/fly hybrids 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally posted by ssully

This type of thread comes up every year on every board that I read. And what bothers me the most is that it projects an eliteist attitude. Which I might add that this board and it's members are not about. Hence my comment, "that it's only fishing".

Sully- I apologize if you or anyone else found this post to be elitist. That is the farthest thing from my mind, and if you read the thread again I think that you'll see this. Like yourself, I also pursue gamefish with other methods and think that they help me to improve upon my favorite method (flyfishing).

I also agree that elitism is not what this site is about. That's why I posted the topic here, because I had a feeling that posters wouldn't start to flame away at each other like on other boards. I see this site as one full of objective and helpful folks. That's the reason that I frequent it.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2002, 12:01 PM
Flats Rat

I find all angling methods interesting - I just enjoy fly fishing most of all. Some of the best and most knowledgeable fly fishermen I knew in the UK started out their fishing careers as Coarse fishermen (coarse fishing in the UK is pursuit of any freshwater fish other than salmonids). These guys really knew their watercraft so the transition to fly fishing was relatively easy for them.

Likewise with bait and spin fishermen in saltwater - which is how I used to fish. Early in the season I enjoy stopping off at the big ditch on my way to the Cape to watch the guys live lining herring.

I own a spinning rod and generally pack it when I'm going to a new location. Throwing surface plugs out over a deep channel down in the Caribbean can be a whole lot of fun - you just never know what's going to come up for a look!

What does or doesn't constitute fly fishing is a debate that's been going on since before the last century and will probably (I sincerely hope) still be going on well into the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2002, 12:44 PM

Personally, my time on the water is far too short & infrequent for me to worry about something like this. Therefore, I really don't care what you call whatever it is that's attached to the end of my tippet as long as it's working!

I remember an old Nick Lyons article/ story where he was fly fishign for eels I think. He tied up a fly that was some type of streamer with something like Alka Seltzer is it to create a bubble trail.

Maybe we should refer to our prefered style of angling as line fishing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Recent Member

Spinner Flys

Ditto

(thanks SSULLY, I don't like to type)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.