How about a Symposium report? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2001, 12:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

How about a Symposium report?

Since I had to fly home early to attend to family issues I was unable to attend the symposium as I had originally wished. Could people please post their perspectives on the event?

thanks,
Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2001, 04:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Did anybody go?
Old 09-24-2001, 11:46 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Sinktip made it but he jetted for Canada.

I just got some reports from the morning and it sounded like Bob Gibbons made an ass of himself (well his ideas did) and that the biologists from Canada know their stuff and that we need to follow them.

It might be a week before we get some good reports when everyone makes it back from Canada.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:20 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000020
Old 09-25-2001, 10:14 AM

Thanks Ryan!

Wishin' I was fishin',
Juro
Old 10-01-2001, 12:20 PM

Juro,
Spent the whole day at the symposium before heading off to Fairbanks for a week.
From what has been said already you get the idea of the state of affairs in Washington State.
I think the big thing will be if the commission who were present heard what BC, Idaho and Oregon were saying. I was trying to read their reactions and sometimes they seemed somewhat upset with Gibbons and how the state handles it's steelhead policy and at other times they seemed indifferent.
As Gibbons continually spewed that surplus means harvest because only so many fish will be needed the rest of the speakers from outside Washington spoke of there is no such thing as surplus. All fish are needed in the water shed for a healthy environment.
Gibbons also kept saying that there is a chance that the Native Americans will take our 50% if we have C&R. What bull that is in my opinion. I believe in a court of law that the sportsmen 50 % would have to remain in the river for the entire fishing season so the sportsmen would have their opportunity to C&R steelhead. Gibbons did his utmost to try and convince commission members and all who showed up that C&R is a useless waste of time.
Also the survey done was just what we needed to hear. The survey question asked was loaded for those who wanted to bonk and yet the results were in our favor by almost 2 to 1. The question in the survey was written this way; " If a river is healthy and there are a large surplus of native steelhead what type of season would you want, catch & kill or C&R"? Those surveyed said 61% for C&R and 34% to bonk. But this did not stop Gibbons as he said after announcing the results of the survey that 34% is still a large number and those folks still hold a large say in what happens.
We have a tough fight ahead of us and it will be close. Speaking with one commissioner and a bonker after the meeting was interesting. The bonker said that C&R is harassment of fish and the commissioner said, " she thought it awful that a fish would be hooked 5 times in a day and felt sorry for it". And yet earlier in the day during a break I over heard this same woman say that at least the happenings on Sept 11 has kept Bush from pushing laws to harm the environment for awhile. Go figure! This is going to be a real fight before the vote in February.
OC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.