funniest or weirdest thing landed on a fly rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2001, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
funniest or weirdest thing landed on a fly rod

2 Years ago while fishing out the mouth of the Elk early in the season before the word got out that the Salmon were coming in . We hitting some nice fish , I kept lining something kept thinking it was bull kelp . After the 4th or 5th time I finally got it . I started to strip my shooting head in , when I could see something black .It looked like it was going up river ,still not knowing what I was in for . Soon as I got about 5' in front of me I could see it was a quick release from a commercial boat .It started to take line out , yelled at my buddy to come help me , he thought I was telling him a story , probably thought I wanted his spot , because he was on a fish almost at every other cast. Finally got a hold of this rig , dropped my rod into the sand . Then the fun started , 25lber came out of the water with me on the other end of this charter boat line . The race was on , I am running up and down the beach with this fish . The few guy's that were down there that day were dying laughing at me . finally realizing that it was at least 40lb charter boat line , I turned it into a shallow pool and landed it .Still have the quick release for a memory that I will never forget . Fish-Head:hehe:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2001, 10:50 PM

Smile Funny things...

I hooked and released a snail; muskrat; 3 snakes, 1 sea gull and myself.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:20 AM

"Pattern Preferences?"

For the muskrat I can guess, but did the snake(s) show a preference? Slow strip?
Old 12-19-2001, 07:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I had a 400 pound seal pursue, inspect, and take a sand eel fly! Didn't land it though so I guess it doesn't count. Also clams, crabs, sea cucumbers, jelly fish, grass shrimp, seagull, skate, snail, ratfish, dogfish, and sea robins - all landed.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:58 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...Coney Island ringfish...
Old 12-19-2001, 12:18 PM
Flats Rat

Sea Robins, Sting Ray, Frigate Birds, Bat, Sheep, ex-Girlfriend ( )......
Old 12-19-2001, 06:56 PM

clams, sea gull, rubber, large branch which fought for about 5 minutes thinking it was a steelhead or salmon landed and it was full of flies, hooks, sinkers, lures that other fisherman lost,quite a catch, dog fish, sea robin, eels, sweater, sneaker

Old 12-19-2001, 07:46 PM

You guys are really strange.

Sounds like you've got to be far more selective in your choice of patterns. A "rubber???" Well, someone got 'hooked up."
Old 12-19-2001, 09:02 PM

Yes some one got lucky that day, but not me

:hehe:
Old 12-19-2001, 09:10 PM

"Impolitic" to ask?

I won't (nor should others) go there. But a couple of 'sites' on the web may help. Private e mail only on this one.

And I thought "Crusty" was a 'rogue and a racuntour.' Silly me.

Old 01-17-2002, 11:15 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Interesting..

I'd been fishing toward the mouth of the puyallup. Snagged up on bottom (which is nearly imposible if you know the lower Ppuyallup) and started reeling in. Come to ind out as I lifted the rod up, up came a siz pack of Pepsi still on the webring. This was back when you haad th puush cap, the oneyou had torelease pressure with smaller cap, then hit tehmain release to drink th pop.

The funniest thing I ever caught fought really well. Was fishing the point Pt Defiance as you head out towards Gig Harbor. My sled was hitting the curreent and wrapingaround th point when my rod diped own hard and started pumping. Set the hok and it fealt like the rod tip was pumping. I thought I'd caught eithe a dogfish or som sot of bottom fish. Iit fouught like a slug, kept circlling the boat. First clockwise, thn ater a bit counterclockwise. Everyone was excited in boat as I came up to my leader. Low and behold my hook had hoked into a molusk stuck to a rock. All the croscurrents made it swim and jiggle up and dow as I reled up.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:53 PM

Cool Funny Fish

Years and years ago, when I was but a kid, I was fishing a High Sierra backcountry lake just at sundown. The light was striking the lake surface at an angle such that I couldn't see down into the water, but I could sure see the rise forms in easy casting distance from my rock and I was flinging my Irresistable out there among them.

By and by, there was a bulge at the fly and I set the hook into what I assumed was a pan-sized mountain rainbow, judging from the disturbance. There was some normal resistance right at first, and then my fish was suddenly just not acting right. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but there was an odd pulsing sensation on the line and the fish, obviously heavier than I'd originally assumed, was coming in amazing easily. After drawing the thing in close enough so that I could start manuevering it for landing, I was staring hard at the water, trying to see what this fish was. All at once, out of the whorl of its thrashing, comes this tiny little hand waving forlornly in the air. "My god," I thought, "I've caught the White Rock Nymph!"

No such luck. Turned out to be a frog. The only one I've ever caught on a No. 14 Irresistable.

Nobody's mentioned bats. I've hooked dozens of those.

Cheers,
Old 01-18-2002, 03:25 PM

Talking Of bears and bats

Traveller sedge hatch on a remote "hike in" BC lake, The trick is to cast to the sky at sundown and try to get a Bat to pick up the fly and then bring the bat in... caught, retrieved and released only one in over 200 attempts... Gives new meaning to Tower Casting!

Same lake, early next morning, fishing from shoreline when a juvenile black bear decided he wanted to swat at my sedge imitation. I had not seen him come out so I guess it irritated him each time the backcast went over his head. Became aware of his presence when I hooked him, he took off to the woods and I headed into the lake, waiting for mommy bear to come out. Thank God she never did show or else.....
Old 02-03-2002, 03:49 PM

This a fun thread for a Sunday afternoon - OK, on the salt, a crab that was big enough and pissed off enough to require my needle-nose pliers to remove, a clam plus I got rammed in the heel a few times by horseshoe crabs. That makes you think while waist deep in the sea.

Caught a boomerang shaped stick that fluttered all over the place and had the colour of a walleye - had me real excited for a while.

Came within a hair's breadth of catching a huge beaver (it came up and sniffed the fly.) It would've been a tussle as I only had a 2 wt. rod. I've caught and landed a seagull (a midair hookup), a few frogs (accidentally) usually while standing around talking with my fly close to the surface.

Snagged and retrieved an almost complete salmon skeleton once - took a while to live that one down.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:14 PM

hows about a Grey Whale!

A persistent old tale I hear from time to time is one of Alec Jackson hooking a Grey Whale in Puget Sound while fishing for the resident Coho. I must remember to ask him if it actually took place.
On the other hand I did see Harry Lemire hook a Beaver on the Dean! It came up right ahead of his skater and got itself summarily snagged. While probably not an altogether pleasant expierence for the Beaver everyone in the camp pool had a good chuckle at both particpants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.