Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jungle Cock Substitute

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Need recommendations for jungle cock substitute for steelhead and streamer flies ??

Thanks

:confused:

#2 ·
That's a tough one. When it comes to JC I always go 'real'. Here are some options:

Purchase a small package of high quality eyes: 4,6 or 8 in a bag. This keeps the costs down and you also get good quality (no splits or bent feathers).

The plastic ones take away from the rest of the fly, better off just leaving them off if it comes to that.

#4 ·
Depending upon how confident you are, you could try a trick that I once saw Dick Talleur pull off with pretty decent results. He took some black and some orange/yellow paint and colored fake jungle cock eyes right onto the fly at the head where the cheeks would be tied in. The results were okay, and I'm sure that the fish didn't mind when they saw the streamer (I believe it was a grey ghost) moving through the water.

Did it look authentic? No, not really, but it passed for a pair of eyes. I'm not confident enough to try this, so I just bite the bullet and use jungle cock. I'd hate to tie a beautiful streamer and then ruin it with a botched paint job.

If anyone else has a suggestion, please share with us. And thank you PM for bringing this up.

#6 ·
Jungle cock is most commonly used for the eye component of salmon flies, i.e: throat, horns, tail, etc. If you look at a Durham Ranger it also appears as an integral component of the wing and lays beautifully in the space between the curl of the topping and the tail. The feather itself is often referred to as 'jungle cock eyes'.

You can obtain small packages at nearly any major flyshop, any of our sponsors can help you out. For direct shipment of very reasonably priced high quality capes contact our newest sponsor Ron Taylor in the UK at:

http://www.fishermensfeathers.com/

Please tell him we sent you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.