Rodney Dangersalmon... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2001, 11:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rodney Dangersalmon...

I tell you he gets no respect!

When the early chum go on the bite and take the swung fly, it sure fills the gap between summer runs and winter runs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2001, 11:59 PM

OK - steelhead they're not, but I liked that picture from the days when I would battle a few big chum before the commute to work. Sure made the work day easier to take!

The problem is you need to find a stretch where they feel good about moving to a fly swung high on a light tip. Not easy to do if anyone else is there tapping drift rigs and snagging them unintentionally, or sometimes intentionally.

Surprisingly they sometimes get into a real biting mood and you can raise them to surface or sub-surface flies.

They don't get the respect they deserve IMHO.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:57 AM

Man -- you're right about the "no respect" business. If these fish occured anywhere else but the Pacific Northwest, they'd be regarded as world-class game fish and targeted by the glitterati.

As it is, they are a local option and provide lots of sport for those of us lucky enough to live near their natal streams. It seems, though, that their popularilty is gaining year by year. On the Tillamook Bay tribs were I fish, there are more fly anglers every season and I hear that some of the Hood Canal hot spots have become zoos.

Chums have an established band of enthusiastic followers (among whom I count myself), but I think we keep their feelings about these fish to ourselves. It's almost as if we ashamed to be thought enjoying catching these wonderful fish.

Weird.

I hope to get back to Alaska sometime next summer and try for chums in the salt. The word is that they take Pink Pollywogs very well.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:59 PM

Been a lot of years since I've fished for Chum's on the NF of the Stilly, etc. No class but just brute strenght. Find them and the summer runs are sitting just below (or in the middle) of the school.

About the last time I got my butt wet was fishing over these guys of a fairly large gentle slopeing gravel bar. I'm out there doing my thing and a couple of hundered fished moved into the quite water (about 2 foot deep) behind me. This I didn't know ....... (he's so poor he can't even pay attention?)

I'm done, turn around and the river goes balistic! I was so startled I actually fell over flat on my face. Drove home in my shorts with a small towel wrapped around my middle.
Old 09-27-2001, 03:59 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

LMAO
Old 09-28-2001, 12:40 PM

Fred -

Good thing you didn't get pulled over by C.O.P.S film crew ^_^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.