Cool Kennebec River Site - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2001, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Thumbs up Cool Kennebec River Site

I was turned on to this site by Tim Watts. I understand his brother, Doug, is behind it- all or in part. It supports the crowing I've benn doing about this awesome fishery. It is a example of an amazing ecological turn around not seen since the clean water act.Friends of Kennebec Salmon Kudos to a group extolling this world class river.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2001, 07:44 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Chris.. As I indicated on another post it appears that things are looking good up there thanks to the efforts of a lot of people. Iwill plan on a trip up there some day and will want to try and hook up with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2001, 08:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tim and Doug -

Nice to see that things have progressed since the last time I looked at the site for an update. You guys are truly stewards of the resource, I'm inspired by the dedication you've had to these and other causes around the region.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:51 PM
Flats Rat

Congratulations and kudos to all concerned! Then I got to thinking that maybe a Kennebec clave might be in order for sometime next season or, well who knows. I just love the idea of being able to target Atlantics and Stripers at the same time. Sounds like the best of all worlds. Did anyone ever catch a sturgeon on a fly? Hmmm 6 ft sounds like going into the ring with Mike Tyson
Old 12-14-2001, 04:38 AM

Talking

Have heard great things about the Kennabeck and a fly tying friend of mine caugh 20" Browns on the river this year. I also overheard someone talking in a flyshop that 30" rainbows being caught at the base of the dam. I will definately take a trip there in 2002.
FishHawk
Old 12-14-2001, 07:31 AM

Glad to see the beautiful Kennebec is under good care While growing up back east in Northern NJ I remember passing over the Kennebec on trips through New England with family or skiing but never got the chance to fish it. The diversity of the fishery looks tremendous like the Delaware river where I did a lot of fishing. I see it has a very large shad run. When I was transferred from NY in 1979 to South Bend, IN I was just getting into fly fishing for Delaware river shad. A matter of fact I was the only fly fisherman I saw at that time for them. Now I know the fly fisherman have found it through my NY friends.

I donot see any talk on this board of east coast shad fishing, the poor man's salmon. Whats going on, that is a great fly rod target and prepared me somewhat for great lakes salmon and steelhead fishing. If I was back on the east coast I would definitely have them on my target list.

Great fighter they were. Go getem and send pictures this spring.
Old 12-14-2001, 08:45 AM
Fly chucker

There are some flyfishers who see the Kennebec as an opportunity for a Grand Slam of sorts. Getting to the mouth (say Popham Beach) in the early morning on a good tide can provide stripers. Heading north to Shawmut Dam and the surrounding areas can provide browns and smallmouth. The area above the dam can yield landlocked salmon, as can the outlet of the river at Moosehead Lake between Greenville and Rockwood. Throw the rainbows that are now available into the mix, and the quadruple becomes a quintiple! This involves a good deal of driving, and although some have done it all in one day (:eyecrazy: ), it's best left to be spread out over an entire weekend. Besides, who wants to hurry when they're fishing?

The Penobscot also has a slam, with Atlantic salmon at Veazie as a rare but potential wild card. Egads!
Old 12-14-2001, 07:04 PM

Unfortunately you can't actively target atlantics in Maine they've been added to the endangered species list. However incidental catches do happen.

I've seen shad, no huge numbers but often in the spring I'd see several dead ones that expired in a futile attempt to get past the Edwards dam.

Up in Fairfield, below the Sawmut dam there are browns, rainbows, LL's, Smallies and occasionally brookies.
If a clave is planned for up here, quite a haul from Popham, boats are a must to transport folks out to gravel bars and rips. The shore access wading is very limited and can be treacherous if the spin fishers are out in force. We wouldn't need too many boats but enough to get people out.

From the first impoundment at Waterville/ Winslow there are browns, brookies, smallies, stripers, LL's, Atlantics, shad, two species of stergeon...... and on and on. Wait 'til you have a three hundred pound stergeon launch out of the water 50 feet away. It sounds like a tree got thrown in the river. Also, ask Ian about the 3' long Atlantic that leapt out of the river ten feet in front of him. We both picked our jaws up out of the water that morning

Anyone who finds themselves up this way drop me a line and I'll help with putting you onto fish. I expect to have our wooden lapstrake boat all restored for the next season so a real tour of a river reborn could be arranged. Bring a 9' 5wt and a striper rod if you come. Mid May it starts. The Kennebec is an amazing fishery and since the removal of Edwards Dam is even more exciting.
:eyecrazy:

Last edited by Chris; 12-14-2001 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You can count me in on that invite! Looking forward to it. Say, can we get out to the shoals in kayaks or would we need to be able to fish from the boats?
Old 12-15-2001, 10:26 PM

Thumbs up

Yaks will be fine. There are lots of gravel bars and stream inlets where the wading is wide, shallow and easy with good access to fish funnels and holes. Bring a 5 wt too. There are plenty of eddy's and back currents you can use to get anywhere you need to go. There are also two boat launches on the west side of the river, between Augusta and Waterville with good parking and at least one spot at Fort Hailfax in Winslow where you can launch. From the fort you can work upstream toward the dam and there are some sweet islets and gravel bars that funnel bait and stripers. I've also banged the browns in that area. Word hads it that last month, when we had those few May-like days, a couple guys had a ball catching browns and LL's. There are other places along the east side between Augusta and Winslow, onesy-twosy spots that will get you out to shoals and islets. The west side is mostly very steep and inaccessable- private sand and gravel quarries mostly. Some stretches of river get narrow( relatively speaking), deep and fast and may be hard work in a yak.

Last edited by Chris; 12-16-2001 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:45 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to troutdude
Hey Chris, Have you been working on the boat? I'll be coming up sometime in the next couple of weeks. See you soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.