How to make Skagit pinks flyfisher-friendly? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2001, 03:04 AM

How to make Skagit pinks flyfisher-friendly?

Lower Skagit loaded with pinks. Gear guys catch them consistently. But no luck for me. Pinks rolling over the surface near steep banks where access to water can be hard or even dangerous. I used pink and orange flies on sinktip.
Also tried floating line with slow-sinking fly.
Plunkers also use pink flies. One gear fisherman gifted me his successful fly which I've lost couple minutes ago.
Left the river feel frustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2001, 08:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's been a while and I don't feel I've ever really untangled the humpy psyche, but guys like Tony knock the piss out of them on the Skagit and I have hooked a bunch on the Stilly on floating lines, long leaders, and small matuka style bunnies or pink estaz chenille bodied flies with light marabou wings, etc.

If I recall, the spot where you fish is key. Choose a spot where the fly will languish in the strike zone. The advantage that gear guys have is to slow the presentation down and leave it "in their face".

Figure out when they get aggressive and fish then. I landed 9 big (very big) chum on a fly rod using floating line to avoid snagging among a line of gear guys who were snagging them intentionally. All of mine were hooked in the mouth, all came up near the surface to swirl on the fly, and I never had to chase them very far because they weren't hooked in the tail or the back like the gear guys. Mid-day and afternoon they would not come after my fly like that but in the early morning they were all over that fly. I used to do this before work just to get a battle in before the day begun.

There are hundreds of thousands of pinks in the Skagit I'm sure, find a place where you can focus on what YOU are doing, not getting distracted by others, and experiment until you unlock the mystery. Then go back to where everyone is and show them how you spank them on the fly! }>
Old 09-15-2001, 06:29 PM

Vic
My best and only fly for pink salmon whether in the salt or in the river called PINK EVE.
#2--6 Mustad 34011SS Or currently using TMC 9394 #4
Pink fish hair.polar bear or plain old buck tail
Tie in tail approx even with hook point 1 1/2 times hook gap
Wrap shank forward to head with oval silver tinsel leaving room to tie in same material as tail extending over 50% of tail finish off with red or pink head.

CATCH FISH saltRon
Old 09-15-2001, 09:37 PM

Ron, can you show me the picture?
Old 09-16-2001, 12:48 AM
Junkyard Spey

Vic, You can find a picture for the Pink Eve here
http://www.coastnet.com/~rpike/aug00.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.