Winter holdovers too bad we won't get it this year! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2001, 11:57 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Winter holdovers too bad we won't get it this year!

With the events of 9/11/01 still fresh in our minds it bears stating that because of all the increased security most if not all of the power plant outflows will be inaccessible to fishing this winter. This is very disappointing but understandable given the circumstances of the events which have taken place. Anybody have any alternative ideas to pass the time during the winter to keep the shack nasties from killing us?
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2001, 03:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We'll have tying get togethers, indoor casting day, shows and before you know it the stripers will be finning north again! Think positive, there is snow coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2001, 05:44 PM

Mike

Always the fresh water scene. CT. has land lock salmon the state releases. Trout streams still abound over ice covered ponds. It's not the same as fishing for stripes, but its a substitute for the shack nasties.
Old 12-09-2001, 06:55 AM

Mike,
I have a few ideas to pass the time but this is a family station.
At holiday parties I keep talking about smallmouth fishing in Me. for some reason. That's getting me by for now.

Lefty
Old 12-09-2001, 07:29 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

How about shoveling?

I've got several inches of the white stuff and it's still coming.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your New England white stuff. Here in Chicago 50 degrees, sunny, no wind, we are still golfing !!!
Hit the driving range yesterday (3 minutes from home) and may again today. How ironic last year in Chicago we had a couple of feet of snow on the ground at this time, and got pounded the whole month of December. Steelheading up on the PM could be good now, but I bet it is low and really clear, which makes it very tough. Must know what you are doing in these conditions to score up there. We have had little rain here in Mid West the last couple of months.

Good Luck with the Snow !!

Tie flies
Old 12-09-2001, 11:39 AM

Lightbulb winter blues!

whats wrong w/ fishin for SEA RUN BROWNS ! we could all meet an make a mass exit to waquoit an catch everything in site !!!!!!!
just e-mail or call the shop ILL be around
Old 12-09-2001, 12:23 PM

Sea run browns now that is goal I have always had. Have lake run browns here in Great Lakes, but they are very difficult to time and really target. Most are caught while salmon or steelhead fishing. There are 20+ pound browns in Lake Michigan, which are possible to catch in fall in some of these rivers. Low probability of success though.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:44 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Wink

There are still some stripers around, that is if your willing to go to some new spots and catch a bunch of small ones with a possible keeper showing up. Some fly fisherman I recently met at UFT and Little Rhody flyrodders club are still fishing for stripers. The weekend before last Jake caught a bunch of schoolie stripers and a 27 incher and Steve a 31 incher from shore in the upper Narragansett. Lost a couple of drag burners too I'm told. They think one would do even better off a boat, since they saw alot of activity out of reach. I would suspect the upper areas of the Thames may produce as well.

Also with this rain coming the Salmon may move into the stillwater after the rains.

With 50 degree temps and decent weather for this weekend Brandon and I may try out a couple spots ourselves to see what we can find.

Tight lines.
Greg.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:35 AM

Talking

Tie flies and do HoneyDo projects till the season starts.
FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.