Compound or Weight forward Leaders - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2001, 10:41 PM
Flats Rat

Jim, I have to agree. I had heard of Lefty Kreh in the UK before I came to the USA but finally had a chance to see him in action at the NJ flyfishing show a couple of years ago. I have watched many fly casting demonstrations before and since but have never witnessed anything like the consumate skill he posseses. This, combined with his endearing humor, ability to impart knowledge and patience as a communicator put him right at the top! You are indeed fortunate to have enjoyed his personal attention!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2001, 12:06 PM

Hmmm, reports of Mr. Schwiebert's death may have been greatly exaggerated. Either that or their was an imposter in New Haven:

Yale Anglers' Journal
An Undergraduate Publication

2000 Dinner Press Release

Literary Journal Launched By Yale Freshman Hooks Subscribers From Around the World

Internationally successful Yale Anglers' Journal springs from a note passed between friends - an Ivy dynasty of "Yanglers" is born New Haven, CT, March 1, 2000.

An eclectic group of enthusiastic supporters of angling literature and art are expected to attend the first annual Yale Anglers' Journal dinner which will be held at Yale on April 19th to celebrate the success of this unique undergraduate enterprise and to raise funds to widen and deepen the non-profit Journal's international subscriber base. Author Ernest Schwiebert will be the keynote speaker. Several other authors and artists as well as representatives from the angling press, sporting literature booksellers, and sporting art galleries will also be present to discuss the art and literature of angling.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:51 PM
President of CAC

Mike, are you subscribing to that Journal. I started a subscription last year and have really enjoyed the reading. The only problem is that it only come out twice a year.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:37 AM

Striblue
I don't subscribe to the journal. I just happened across the reference to it.

However, I'm a fan of Mr. Schwiebert and his writings. I should re-read some of his books.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:35 AM

Yes I am an E. Scwiebert fan also. Just reread a couple of hsis short stories from several of his books I have. It was mentioned last month on the forumn that he may have passed away, I tried some research on the net but could not find out if it was true. Would think he would have published something since 2000 though which is when the Yale anglers club banquet was referenced above it. Met him on the Beaverkill 30 years ago he taught me what a red quill was during the Hendrickson hatch period. Made all the difference in the results that day.

Does any one know the true situation on Mr. Schwiebert ?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:02 AM

Location: Paradise & Brodhead Creeks in Monroe County, Pennsylvania and the lakes & streams of Wisconsin's northwoods country
Ernest G. Schwiebert

Regarding the question of Ernest Schwiebert's demise, click on these two links below to see articles which seem to indicate that Ernest is very much alive, well and still very much with us. I would appreciate any definitive information which other members of this forum might have re Ernest Schwiebert since if he is still among the living, I would enjoy communicating directly with him. Thank you.

Henryville Huckleberry

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...hwiebert&hl=en

http://www.flyrodreel.com/index.php/...05_0102/id/137
Old 08-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Location: Paradise & Brodhead Creeks in Monroe County, Pennsylvania and the lakes & streams of Wisconsin's northwoods country
The Henryville Special

Henryville Special

Tied by Gene Holowachuk (Cooperstown NY)

Hook: Mustad 94840, sizes 14-18
Thread: 6/0 or 8/0. Black or color to match body.
Ribbing: Grizzly hackle tied Palmer over the body. Tie full. Barbles should be slighltly less than hook gap.
Body: Olive or green wool yarn or synthetic dubbing, tied thin. Have also used peacock herl. Try to match naturals.
Underwing: Barred lemon wood duck fibers (or dyed mallard), sparse slips. Fibers should just extend very slightly past bend of hook.
Wings: Natural dark grey duck quill sections tied tent style over the body & extending just past the underwing. Cut to shape.
Hackle: Brown or ginger. Wrap two or three turns only.

Notes: Palmered hackle should be wrapped so the hackle barbles point toward the front of the fly. Palmered hackle on top of body should be clipped off before tying in underwing. Use no more than three wraps of brown hackle - it is important not to over-hackle the brown legs in the thorax area. If the grizzly Palmered hackle is of sufficient dry fly quality & tied in full, then it will be a good floating fly. Wings should be flared & separated so the fish below will have a good natural-looking silhouette. To enhance the durability of the wings, coat the wing quill in advance w/ either 'hard as nails' or spray it w/ a fixative such as Tuffilm.

History: (from "Popular FLy Patterns" by Terry Hellekson, 1977, Peregrine Smith, Inc., ISBN 0-87905-066-7): The Henryville Special was originated by Hiram Brobst of Palmertown, PA, to duplicate caddis hatches in the Henryville section of Brodhead Creek. He originally named it the "No-Name" but later Al Ziegler[husband of Eleanor Henry Ziegler of Henryville House] got hold of the fly & renamed it the Henryville Special. As w/ any fly that gets extensive use it has been tied in numerous variations. It has proven to be a deadly fly & some feel that it is the best caddis imitation to have ever been created.

compiled by Rick Lalliss for the FF@ Dry Fly Swap. Copyright 1995, Rick Lalliss and Respective Authors, EMail: lalliss@aros.net

Last edited by henryville huck; 08-08-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.