Inbox is toast! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2001, 02:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Inbox is toast!

I've received a few strange emails lately and regret to say that my inbox is messed up. I ran a scan and Norton quarantined my Trash bin and Inbox to prevent harm. It could not complete the cleanup because the problem was in messages received. Now I will not be able to retrieve my mail without risking a virus so I am going to start from scratch. If you've sent me an email recently and got no reply - please resend it and I will reply as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2001, 04:43 PM

Ouch! Suspect you're one of many.

Hope you didn't get the 'new one' going around earlier this week. It's a nasty, nasty piece of work. The Bank, and several other major business of which I'm aware, really got hung out to dry as many of their internal e mail systems got sucked up.

Your're right clean it all up, reinstall your anti-virus program, update same and ..... Pray.
Fred
Old 12-08-2001, 10:22 AM

Lost again! I keep getting emails with viruses from people... Norton catches them but quarantines my inbox so I have to delete and start over (and over).

Please bear with me as I get things re-situated. If you had any urgent recent emails please re-send... unless you're infected...

thanks,
Juro
Old 12-10-2001, 08:59 PM

Getting lots of email infected with

W32.Badtrans virus

...trapped on arrival and disposed of by my virus scan program. Many of them coming are from nice people I know from FF circles. No harm no foul but is anyone else getting these?
Old 12-10-2001, 09:50 PM
Junkyard Spey

Inbox is toast

Juro, We have 2 computers here and for the last 2 weeks I've had to run complete system scans at least once a day and sometimes several times a day. Like you we have Norton and it is catching the infected e-mails but after I get a virus alert and get the infected item quarantined I've been checking our whole system. We've had 20+ infected e-mails in 2 weeks. It has been a pain in the butt! I realize this isn't telling you anything except you are not alone.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:55 PM

Juro,

The newest McAfee dat files will clean it. I also run Zone Alarm Pro firewall and it flags the virus and renames the file extension so you can't open it. If your running MS Outlook modify the option to disable the preview pane. Also that virus is being forwarded by you to any unopened emails in your inbox. A couple of little $hits in Israel were busted today as the perps.

Again just my .02

Last edited by ssully; 12-10-2001 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:32 PM

Thanks Sully!

I will look into the new McAfee release. (I hope no one got an email from me)

I'll go do a search on Zone Alarm Pro... sounds like a worthwhile investment.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:41 PM

New mcafee + advise bad emailers!

Juro/all: If you have a Costco in your area they're selling the new McAffee anti-virus program (and an firewall) program for $39.99 WITH a $40 mail in rebate. Free is good!!! Instal land immediatly go on line for the FREE update that has the fix/clean for this bugger.

But, most important, if you can identify whose sending the screwed up e mails to you LET THEM KNOW they're toast. Most don't have a clue they're spreading this latest version of total crap. And it is a most nasty!

New bug appears completly new, which is why it spread so fast (no ones system had ever heard of it before - and I/Bank have the lastest versions of the lastest versions of the ...). Too many folks 'got hung out to dry,' let them know so they can clean up their system, otherwise as this piece of .... will do it for them.
fe

Flat forgot the obvious: Never, ever,never, ever open an extention, exe., etc., file without first checking with the sender to confirm they're aware it's been sent from their system.
fe

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-11-2001 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:37 PM

If you go with McAfee viruscan 4.5.1 choose the Custom install. The default config does not install the download scan or email scan. I run it on full blast with heuristics & macros on. On the internet filter I check activeX and java applets, don't forget you can get hosed just browsing a site. I update virus signatures on every startup and so far so good.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:16 PM

When you think about it, it's not a great situation when those who stand to gain the most from a virus are the same folks who are the providers of the cure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.