Fly Fishing Forum banner

Blue Fish Fly Rod Records

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Here are the current "Fly Rod " record from the IGFA. For 2 lb tippet---14lbs 6 oz. ---1984 : 4lbs----14lbs 9oz.----1984 : 6lbs---15lbs 7 oz.----1997 : 8lbs-----18lbs 6oz.---1984 ; 12lbs----19lbs 4 oz.---1980 ; 20lbs----16lbs 13oz.----1999. no pending records and this does not include the all tackle or line class records where for both Striped Bass and Blue fish the weights are substantially more.

#2 ·
We *routinely* get blues off of Boston by mid-July that weigh in around 15-20+ lbs. They are usually slightly offshore, most heavily concentrated on Stellwagon where all of those same monster sand eels are that keep the whales and school tuna happy (just like off Chatham). I have taken a few on tuna gear that actually took drag, and have taken a few on the fly as well. That 20 lb. class tippet record would be infintely breakable if anyone wants to give it a go next year!

Jeff

p.s. thanks Juro for curing my log-in ailments!

#3 ·
Jeff.. I agree, In fact the Blue which is the one in my picture was 38 inches as I mentioned before.. But the real weight was only estimated since I had it on a 15 pound bogga grip. I then estimated at 15 and one half. But I remember that the fish shot the scale down rather quickly to it's maximum when I picked it up. Todd Murphy was sure it was more. Anyway, those records can easily be broken if anyone cares and files out all the forms,etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.