Go to fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2001, 04:32 AM

Thumbs up Go to fly

What fly do you use when all else fails? For me its the Clouser followed by Gartside Soft Hackle Deciever.
FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2001, 08:33 AM

Thumbs up The (when all else fails) fly

I tie an enlarged nymph that is about 3.5 inches long... The uglier it is, the better it works.
When all else fails (in fresh water), it will catch fish.
Never tried it in the salt yet.
Maybe some day I'll take a trip to the Atlantic Ocean.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:39 AM
President of CAC

Go Home.... smoke a Cuban Cigar.... and stare at the wall.

Last edited by striblue; 12-06-2001 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2001, 08:49 AM
Fly chucker

For me it's a whistler (hence the pick in my profile), followed closely by a clouser, deceiver, and surf candy, in that order.

Of course this list is subject to change without notice.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:50 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
recreation espionage...

...I casually approach Juro/John/Roop to bum a smoke...'gets me close enough to see what those FISHMAGNETS are using...
Next summer I've worked out a deal with friends at the Pentagon for limited spy-in-the-sky digitel-realtime-downloads.
Otherwise...at the Cape, 6" deep eel works for me! (that's what "they" are using anyway!)..Go Figure!

Old 12-06-2001, 08:59 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Talkin' strictly SWFF -

This seems to change for me over time. During the baby bunker years, it was a juvie with the rainbow angel hair back and big eyes. This put the big bass on the line in the clutch from Sugar Reef RI to Crane's Beach in Ipswich to Hampton NH. Click here to see what I mean about the juvie years... JUVIES!.

Then there was the crab fly phase as a head-shaven Monomoy disciple but then those residents just aren't as gullible as they used to be for the crab flies now that everyone's tossin 'em.

If you've ever seen the "small tan squid phenomenon" you'd also understand why the squid fly was a goto fly for most of two seasons ago. This is when you are fishing mid-day at a beach with boat traffic and it looks dead as a doornail and then suddenly BIG bass start exploding the surface with little squid 'plipping' out of the water like little jets to escape. You can throw anything you want and be lucky to get a follow, but once another pod of squidlets appears the water boils with bass giving it up for the squid. I went to an old coho squid pattern fished on a dead drift and enjoyed some of the best striper action ever when juvie squid were in town. But that isn't always the case so it can't be a goto option.

By far the meat and potato forage food for stripers is the sand eel, many have heard me call it "God's gift to flyfishing". Why? Because the patterns that imitate it can be cast even in jumbo sizes; and jumbo stripers will eat the fly even in non-jumbo sizes. So big fish eat it, but it doesn't have to be huge to get their interest.

That's the phase I'm in right now. I start with a sand eel and let the fish force me to switch flies. I haven't had to do that very often. In fact I've been forced to switch back. So, until the next phase, it's the real eel.

They are absolute suckers for baby flounder though. I've seen them just lose it chasing them around... maybe that's next....
Old 12-06-2001, 09:59 PM
President of CAC

Fish Hawk... ok ...I would not run home... If the deep sand eel did not work I would use Harry Koons Rat's ass.. If that failed and I could not tell what the bait is, and I am assuming Chatham location, back to the sparse Clouser... If that did not work.. I would then go home and make a tee time.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:36 AM

Talking

Speaking of baby flounder , I read in Sight Fishing for Bass that a Merkin without the rubber legs works. Something to experiment with.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ironically my best flounder "fly" thus far was an epoxy fabric crab experiment after the fabric and legs fell off - leaving just the speckled epoxy and grizzly marabou fringe "in the flat". You should've seen that thing catch bass on the bayside during the flounder "hatch". The guys I was showing around Paine's were befuddled, and so was I but the stripers were almost beaching themselves chasing silver-dollar sized winter flounder fry along the 'hook' west of the blue hole. The point was taken but I can't see myself "tying" that intentionally.

I've been working on one with natural materials off and on for over a year now but the motivation loses it's urgency when other patterns have been so productive for this same time period. I'll put some more into it this winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.