stripping baskets - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2001, 06:37 PM
LBFF Mojo

stripping baskets

Trying to decide from on two different types:

orvis

Here is the second(scroll down to the bottom):

feather-craft

I am leaning towards the latter.

Opinions?

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2001, 07:39 PM

Stripping basket

Sean --- I had never used the stripping basket before in BC. and during the discussions on same Juro mentioned the cones that are aviable to go into the tupperware tub . Juro very graciously sent me a set and the were installed int the tupper ware dish pan ..[See posts under stripping basket] Works like a hot dam and they will outlast several pans

My .02 saltron
Old 12-05-2001, 10:22 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
stripquest

...with no wife to threaten physical harm and/or financial ruin, I have no one to blame for "trial/error" except my$elf...
I've tried soft, hard, collapsible and uncrushable...so far my favorite is the latest Orvis offering with the "rod holder" slots.
While the original belt is good, not being one to leave well enough alone, I substituted my own "dive belt" which has a one-hand-quick-release buckle and the material is more rigid and "substantial".
(In my opinion) It's the best so far out of many trials (and error$).
It holds rod/reel while rigging and while resting.
And besides all that, Orvis contributes a sum to the CCA so it makes me feel justified in spending a bit more $$$ since the excess goes to a real good cause!
...and, as Senior Striblue will attest, the rigid sides offer excellent surface opportunities for provocative stickers such as..."Skunked again...What's it to ya!" and the like...

and if all else fails...the "Beach Ninja" and the "Roopmeister...("fishmagnet") use it!
If you can wait, you can try mine next Spring...
Old 12-06-2001, 06:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sean -

All it really takes is the rubbermaid dishpan and a web belt and snap buckle, total cost $4-5. That is light, durable, stylish in forest green or white, and you can cut the lip off on the belly side to alllow the side to contour to you.

The fingers make a big diff as you might expect. The latter device has good fingers but I have to wonder what a cross-wind would do to your loops. The position of the device would also be subject to deep wading problems. Personally, I would not use it because of the wind problems alone.

The Orvis basket is ridiculously priced compared to the first option but is the best off-the-shelf option in my opinion. Other designs have their merits too but when applied to all the various conditions from surf to a seat on the beach to sit on, you can't beat it.

Of course if you install fingers into the $5 solution you will have a basket that is just as good as the Orvis at half the cost. I will pick up a set of fingers for you at next month's fly show so you can either opt to spend half the cash -or- build a spare for your S/O when she gets hopelessly addicted to flyfishing like the rest of our spouses
Old 12-06-2001, 08:32 AM
President of CAC

I agree with both Juro and Pete.. I have the old Orvis without the rod holder and I have had to drill a couple holes in it to allow for water release... I think they cost $40.00 but ,as Pete says I think part of that goes to Trout Unlimited or the CCA.. Also the Cones are Part of the structure ... and it does make a great seat and is curved to fit the torso.. so... I think it is worth it if you compare it to the cost and time it takes to make one... If you make your own you would probably save ,maybe $20 in all. By the way, I have "Skunked today" on it, not the other quote.

Last edited by striblue; 12-06-2001 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:46 AM
Fly chucker

Sean- I have a third type that you didn't mention, perhaps because you aren't interested in it. It's the Kennebec stripping basket, which has a soft mesh bottom and a contour that easily adjusts to your body. A pair of monofilament tongues are hooked into the bottom mesh to prevent tangles, and since the bottom is mesh there is no water accumulation. Some people don't like this type because it has a rather soft feel, but for a tall thin guy like myself this is the way to go.

They're available through most major dealers, including Cabelas and LL Bean.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I also have the Kennebec mesh and I love it in all circumstances except for deep wading. Once you deep wade with anything other than a solid basket the water agitates the line and it tangles. The Kennebec is my absolute favorite basket on a boat, unless it's a flats boat which is a huge, beautiful stripping basket

I devised an addition to the Kennebec that solves the deep wading problem. If you're interested I'll email you Dble Haul.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:28 AM

I also use the Rubbermaid dishpan for $4.50.
It's about 6" deep, 16" wide and, 12" accross.
Then find a spare mylon belt with plastic quick release buckle. Slice 2 vertical holes near the top and by the corners on the part that comes in contact with you. Then for $10, buy the cones.

Lefty
Old 12-06-2001, 10:33 AM
Fly chucker

Juro, I'll take you up on the offer to let me know about your alteration to the Kennebec basket. E-mail or private message will do, whatever is easier for you.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:12 PM

Stripping Basket

Just one additional hint re the Rubbermaid basket if you take a heat gun to the side that will be up against your corporate structure it will mold like a wet noodle and stay to the shape that you induce into it

My .02 saltRon
Old 12-06-2001, 09:48 PM

Home made rubbermaid. Ayup. Damn (cheap) yankees and proud of it.

Kidding aside Sean I made one this year which is about 3/4 size of the standard rubber dub tub and wouldn't trade it for the world. Also make sure if you get one it has a quick release buckle. My first experiment almost drowned me. Remind me to show you the bar in the Merrimack when you get here. Not a place for the faint of heart in the dark and fog with an incoming tide but OH what fish...makes a man live on the edge
Old 12-06-2001, 10:19 PM

Talking Baskets Galore

I never have to worry about them things when I go out to the East Coast. Juro has a garage full of models and other such experimental designs. He is very gracious in lending me one for a few weeks, several years in a row now. Juro, I hope you got the one I borrowed last Sept? I owe you buddy. Next year I expect to be able to use the latest invention of yours otherwise I'll have to do a pilgrimage to the local tupper ware store and that would break the magic circle, would it not?
Old 12-06-2001, 11:10 PM

Hi Sean, I have a Kennebec that I could let you have for cheap from when I lived back east and chased strippers. I have no need for it now that I am chasing Steelies with the spey rod. Let me know. Bruce.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:45 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Juro,
Kennebec solution to deep wading? I'm all ears, if you wouldn't mind cc'ing me on the email to Dble Haul. Thanks! Nick
Old 12-08-2001, 07:56 PM
LBFF Mojo

Hey Bruce,

Color me interested send me a private message for more details about the kennebec.

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.