Winter events in New England - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2001, 09:59 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Winter events in New England

Well the frost was on the pumpkin this morning. Just about all thoughts of wetting a line locally for this 'wimp' are gone!

BUT... it's a good time to discuss the winter agenda:

Tying clave - Sully?
Indoor casting clave - Dave Williams, thanks for the note will call!
Rod Building Project - JimW, I'll have the page up shortly
Fly shop sorties
Marlboro Flyshow - get together
Wilmington Flyshow - "
Somerset NJ Flyshow - car pooling?

Look for specific information soon. Need volunteers to help make these happen.

Without winter there would be no spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2001, 05:05 PM
Flats Rat

Hi Juro

I'll be away for the Marlboro and Somerste shows in January. I will be arround for the Wilmingto show. If you were planning on doing something there I would be glad to help.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Which Wilmington?
Hey Juro,
Have you given any more thought to another decal? I could just take the logo off the top of the home page and put together a couple of designs around it if the copyright is free to exploit for that end.

Are you having a table at the show again this year?

Will I get a membership renewal request at the end of my year? Hope to begin the dory project soon. I plan to send on a story and photo diary for posting if you feel it is up to caliber.

Last edited by Chris; 12-06-2001 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:28 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to troutdude
Looking forward to meeting up with my brothers and as many FFF guys as possible at the Marlboro show in January. After the show on Sat night--is that the plan?
Old 12-15-2001, 09:28 PM

Here's what I suggest:

We could do an event per month during the cold season here in New England. Any preferences for tying / casting first?

Ongoing: Rod Building Forum
Jim Whalen will be the producer of a new section on rod building. In this forum a group of members (everyone's welcome) will build their rod and the Forum staff will publish the progress until the finished product. Our sponsors and experienced members will answer questions and provide insights into the project. This project will run through the winter.

January: Tying Clave
Sully, I will contact you about Stony Brook (fingers and toes crossed).

February: Casting Clave
The Reading Indoor Track Facility was perfect, and perfection comes with a price. We would have to get enough people to secure the hall at ~$500 per day. Last year we had no problem at $20 / head which is 25 people. We would have to collect a deposit that would be non-refundable and get that to Dave Williams with plenty of advance notice.

Marlboro Show -
Jan 18, 19 and 20, 2002
Unless we do some fund-raising now, we will not have a booth this year. Thoughts?

(also Wilmington Show, etc)
Old 12-15-2001, 09:36 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I would love to join in on the rodbuilding but for some reason I am overly intimidated by it.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:12 PM

Hey guys hows about a time and place to meet at Marlborough so we can further plan for dinner after?
Old 12-16-2001, 09:25 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Juro,

Do you think that your presence at the Marlboro show last year was worth the money for the table? I suppose that I am asking you if your presence (at a table) resulted in the recruitment of more members or contributors to the Forum - to a degree that you believe adds comparable value to the site.

If so, then I would be willing to contribute some cash ($20) and some face time at the table if we rounded up enough cash to purchase a spot on the floor in Marlboro.

Last year, the Marlboro show marked my first face to face encounter with Juro. The same is true for my brother and for Jeff Borkowski. We chatted with Juro for a while and upon discovering that his knowledge, generosity and amiable nature extended beyond his ever helpful web presence we quickly signed up as members of the Forum. We are not fishing gurus but every contributing member adds value to the site.

So, first of all, Juro - would you want to have a table at the show?

Second - would anyone else be willing to chip in some cash (above and beyond any Forum membership dues) towards the table fund?

For the record, I am also highly interested in the Tying Clave and the Casting Clave and I would be glad to help out in the planning and/or setup/cleanup at either event.

I also hope to meister a clave this year. Hopefully I will be able to get a Block Island clave off of the ground in 2002.

Take care,

Mike
Old 12-16-2001, 10:06 AM

I've thought this through a bit...

Would people be willing to pay an extra $20 to attend fly tying clinics taught by captains, guides, members and sponsors at the show, and have a place to sit, relax and shoot the breeze in the Forum booth?

Please let me know ASAP,

Juro
Old 12-16-2001, 05:08 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

I'll give you $20 regardless, Juro.

I could definitely use some tying instruction also, don't get me wrong. I would be glad to spend some time behind the counter explaining the virtues of the Forum to all that would listen.

I'm still searching for support from suppliers that I deal with as well.

~Mark
Old 12-16-2001, 05:58 PM

I'm in for $20.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:19 PM

I hadn't heard of the forum site until I met Juro at the show last year. As time passed and I began taking in the site and learning of its many characters I decided to join. I plan to continue as a member. The camraderie and knowledge of the folks here is outstanding.

If the exposure led to a positive bottom line for the site and you feel it was over all a valuable tool then by all means do it again. I hope that Juro and anyone else that spent time manning the table last year got time to enjoy the show as well.

If tying with friends and seeing the show without having to set up and man the fort seems like a more enjoyable time- it does to me- and the exposure didn't lead to the gains you had hoped then hang with the guys this year.

Either way I'd be willing to help out. Let us know.

Last edited by Chris; 12-16-2001 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2001, 09:36 PM

The show and the good of the Foram

Juro-- If you think putting the table in the show will increase our overall contributing membership I am inn for 20.00 over and above the annual contribution. We seem to gathering aditional regeristations off the net but the inperson thing is worth much more than than the cost of admission.

saltRon:eyecrazy:
Old 12-17-2001, 05:28 AM

Juro, Count me in on $20 maybe more, I will talk to my son also. The problem with him might be, he has a weekend job on weekends. What is the date of the show?
Old 12-17-2001, 08:32 AM

Well, if we can get 10 more people or so to be interested in attending hands-on tying lessons (vise and materials provided) in a nice tying table setting at the Flyfishing Forum booth then we can justify a booth.

$20 for semi-private lessons - how can you beat that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.