stripers out west - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2001, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
stripers out west

I am going to start chasing some srtiper's out on the west coast .Can anybody help from line's to fly's .I am planning on trying shooting heads and a slime lime , with clouser's ? Thank's Fish-Head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2001, 09:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fish-head -

I was looking thru John Morin's book about SW flyfishing by Joe Brooks and the picture of the world record striper he caught on a fly rod really blew me away - it was caught on the Oregon coast!

I'd start there for inspiration if not information. Now as far as help with gear choices you should be able to find reams by doing a search on things you might be looking for. Click below to try a search

Make sure you pick the stripers category from the lower left pull-down.

Also, here are the basics:

rod - 7 is light, 8 is finesse, 9 is the norm, 10 is best for rips and boats, 11 is heavy; but all this depends on personal preference.

line - depending on conditions, intermediate is the best all around, sinking lines like the Rio Deep sea (head sinks, running line intermediate) are the next most freq. used, floaters a distant third.

Leaders - don't bother with the fine tippet stuff, these fish are big bad and aren't leader shy unless your on shallow flats mid-day.

Flies - match the 'hatch', down there you'd be good with:

sand eel imitations
herring imitations
anchovy imitations
sea perch (pogy local jargon) imitations
crab, sand shrimp imitations
etc -

They'll eat anything they can but get selective when feeding in a particular manner. You need to play into their actions. If they are busting the surface throw just about anything and hang on.

Poppers are a great way to get them excited. Look for birds and breaaking commotion on the surface.

Have you seen them where you are planning to fish?
Old 12-02-2001, 09:38 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Stripers!?!!??!?!

stripers, Stripers, STRIPERS!???!?! Why would you do such a crazy thing when there are steelhead all around you???

I can guarantee that you have come to the right place and these guys can sure as Hell get you going...
Old 12-02-2001, 09:57 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Here is all you need to do when it comes to flys.

Send a self addressed, stamped package to Juro with a check for $100 and tell him to keep you in "Deep Eel" patterns until your tab runs out.

Many of the Stripers I caught last season were on a second hand, "used" deep eel that my brother had gotten from Juro, caught fish with, and passed on to me. Finally, a pesky Bluefish had to come along and swallow it, never to be seen again.

And then there were none.........

~Mark
Old 12-03-2001, 12:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
Hey thank's for the reply's guy's . So when and where do I send the check Juro . Actually I have fished the Coos for Striper's , the couple that I landed was on the Coquille . What an awesome fish . Still in the dark for these fish though , Thank's Fish-Head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.