chants and mantras - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2001, 02:20 PM

chants and mantras

It may just be me but I was wondering if anybody else out there has chants, mantras or some such thing they use while fishing.

Before most outings I say this to myself: "I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day and when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray that when in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep that in his mercy I be judged big enough to keep."

I've also been known to mutter: "Fishy fishy in the brook come and bite upon my hook."

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2001, 02:30 PM
Fly chucker

Well, my dad used to use one when I was a kid. We'd be fishing for a while and not getting anything, when suddenly he'd start his fish call that went something like this:

"Suuuuuuuueeeyyyyy! Here fish, fish, fish, fish......"

This didn't always get the fish to bite, but it guaranteed that we'd have a fishing spot all to ourselves. I'd giggle and promise myself to never use that ridiculous chant, but I occasionally surprise myself by muttering it under my breath when the fishing is slow. So I guess that my dad did rub off on me.

I have several others that I use when I lose fish, get tangles, stumble on rocks, and so on, but they are not suitable for this forum.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:19 PM

No, no, no...

You gotta sing, something funky too.

Ask Marvin or Striblu about the success of my renditions of selected tunes from Leon & Mary Russell's Wedding Album.

Old 11-27-2001, 09:14 AM

Can't think of any off hand except maybe-
On my way north off Cape at about Plymouth, and to the smell of striped rodent:

"I will not get sucked into driving all the way to Chatham again...
I will not get sucked into driving all the way to Chatham again...
I will not get sucked into driving all the way to Chatham again..."

I got the feeling that one day I'm gonna pay for all this Chatham bashing. I hope the payment is a 38" Stripee comes and punishes my fly (first cast of course, right John? )
Old 11-27-2001, 10:29 AM

>>Ask Marvin or Striblu about the success of my renditions of selected tunes from Leon & Mary Russell's Wedding Album.<<

It's true!! It works!!

I wouldn't have believed it without seeing it- nor, I must admit, would I have figured Roop for being such a soulful kinda guy...
Old 11-27-2001, 11:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A frequent chant I use is the one my son pointed out when I was trying to show him my "secret strip-retrieve". He said "oh I get it, it's just like ____ ___ __________". I hummed it and replied "yeah, that's right!".

Ever since then I have been chanting that when working a channel, hole or drop off.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:49 AM
Irish flies are smiling

Location: The Irish Coast, the Western Lakes, small rivers near Dublin, secret spots in Donegal...
I have spend hours repeating:
"Please God, just-one-fish
Please God, just-one-fish
Please God, just-one-fish..."etc

Like juro it is often worked into a rythm that matches the retrieve, other times it is part of a subconcious routine of intense concentration where by I "convince" a fish to take.

Though in fairness I only employ this method when it is late in the day and no fish have come to the hand.

Now that you know my ways, use them wisely.

Mylo

PS I think a certain amount of desperation always helps improve my catch rate...
Old 11-27-2001, 11:54 AM
LBFF Mojo

Towards the end of the day when my casting arm is about to fall off and my casting as gone to hell.
I have been know the sing the "Chain Gang" song.

Read in some magazine about a guide telling his client to sing it while casting to bonefish to help his tempo. Works wonders for my focus at the end of a day.

"That's the sound of the men working on the chain gang..."

-sean
Old 11-27-2001, 11:57 AM
President of CAC

Cool

Mylo... that's mine too.. "Oh ,Please God, just one fish".. The problem is I think God has had it with me because If I catch one.. the next chant is " Oh,, please God, just a second fish"... as so on.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:44 PM

I don't know why, but I always find myself doing a Bill Murray imitation from one of his movies (Caddyshack, maybe): "Come on Billy, Oh BillyBillyBilly..."
It worked once about three years ago, I got a huge grab in mid-Billy from a mid-June Steelhead. Landed it too.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:45 PM

Right movie, wrong actor. Ted Knight (sp?) That's a good chant. I'll have to remember it.

Gregg
Old 11-27-2001, 05:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Some how, and I don't even know where it comes from, " Do you believe in magic?" begins rattling around in my head. It drives me nuts 'cuz it's such a lame pop tune. I has something to do with the magic of fur, feathers and fish.
Chris
Old 11-27-2001, 05:49 PM

Mine is to the effect of "I know you're out there .... take it ... take it .....

When this hasn't worked (like lots and lots sometimes) I find my self listening 'in my head' to the Anne Lenox tune "why oh why" to the point I'll actually go back to the car and stick the tape in to get the words right.

This is a very good sign of a very sick mind.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My strip-retrieve mantra is strictly for stripers, but when steelheading I have a whole different venue...

when Spey casting a hint of Blue Danube comes to mind sometimes (see what you've done Bubba?)... when it swings, it's the theme from Jaws. Starting with a subtle and slow drone up to it's full intensity in the sweet spot of the swing.

Honestly, I get so convinced sometimes that a fish is going to throttle the fly that I am simply amazed when it doesn't happen.

The ultimate is when I am fishing alone through a gorgeous run, so gorgeous I am talking to myself with glee, and I can feel that there will be a steelhead to take my fly, feel it right down to the marrow. With each new cast the vibe intensifies until I am completely engrossed in the flow of the river and the mysteries of the shadows beneath, and become absorbed in the doing and forget about the result, and then...

Sometimes there is so much electricity that there's no time for music. But in between those times, ya gotta have a slammin' song.

Do-a diddy-ditty-dum-ditty-do...
Old 11-27-2001, 08:42 PM
Recent Member

Talking Do you believe in magic?

Hey Chris!! I got a laugh when I read that! I remember singing that song so many times when the fish weren't biting! I don't recall if it ever worked though. I remember us doing something about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.