Fly Fishing Forum banner

Who got out this weekend?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
With a full moon and temperatures ranging from the high 60s to low 70s, did anyone get out and give 'em hell? I'm busy moving so right now I have to live vicariously through all of you. :p

#2 · (Edited)
I did.

I fished Conneaut Creek in Ohio. [NORTH COAST] I caught a 27 inch, 19 pound steelhead that was just returning from Lake Erie. :)
I caught her on a white maggot fly pattern.
What a fight, it made eight dynamic runs and twenty breath-taking leaps.
Sorry, I have no scanner available to post picture of us (mayflyman & steelie) together. :(
Anyway; what a day...

#4 ·
steelhead

juro said:
mfm -

You sure are walkin' up the ladder of salmonids lately! Congrats, was that your first STEELHEAD?

(there howz that Ryan :D)
Yes it was, thank you. :)
I hooked it around noon, EST and I'm still on a rush from it.
What a jumper she was. I'm just glad she allowed me to visit her for a moment, being she had a busy schedule and all. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Well Saturday morning was only 'shoulder development.' Pain as fish were rolling all over the place. So Sunday morning, says to self: "Self, a man's gotta do what a mans gotta do." (Raced out the door before Joan could blow a fuze).

Hooked two nice fish in not many more than that casts. Second one actually got all my spey line off the reel and a third of the backing before I got the darn thing under control. First "Run, see Fred Run!" fish I've had for ages.

Fish on the very top end of the Rogue are feeding of surface flys. Interesting to see 2 feet of back roll out of the water. CHOMP and back down into the debths.
fe

#8 ·
Fishin? What's that?
Reels/Rods cleaned and packed away.
Hey Mayflyman: nice fish! Glad you hooked into an Ohio Steelie-they're way better than those slugs in the PNW. :cool: One of these days I'm gonna make the Michigan steelhead runs.

Lefty

#10 · (Edited)
John,
Will do. There's always been a strong connection in my mind between the flyfishing life and Celtic music. Down at the Green Briar pub on Monday nights in Brighton there's a great big traditional seisiun I usually haunt. What's great are the pictures of Ireland that line the room. I sit there and play, dreaming about fishing the streams by the castles. My day will come to fish Ireland.
I'm floating around some other fiddle jams too. I'll let you know where there's good music. Hey there's an Irish fiddle tune called "The Salmon Tailing Up the River". I ought to learn it.

Lefty (who plays fiddle, hockey, and mini golf righty)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.