The Green River - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2001, 01:41 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
The Green River

I know this may sound very odd but I have never had any desire to fish the Green River. I grew up as a news hound and for as long as I can remember I would plop myself in front of the Evening News and absrob as much of it as I could.

When I was very young, the tales of the Green River Killer, were usually the top stories and for some reason those stories stuck with me for years as did the pictures of the river and the detectives carrying out body bags.

I was very young and did not realize that I was really in no danger but the fear kept me up at night for a few years and not untill the stories fell from the news and I realized he was no danger to me did thoughts of the Green River Killer and the atrocities that he buried along river disapear.

This was all before I was fisherman but those Sunday drives with the granparents along the banks of the Green River were always occupied of thoughts of what could possibly lay just beyond those trees on the bank of the river.

When I first started fishing and I roamed around Western Washington fishing as many rivers I could, I purposely left the Green River out. Those early days in front of the tv and the Sunday drives with the granparents just had too much of an effect on me...I could not fish the river. I seriously believed that I would be fishing and turn around and see some man dump a body or that I could be bushwhacking through the brush to reach a whole and I could trip over a body. It was just too much...

Anyways, when I learned today that they finally arrested the man and that DNA evidence links him to 3 bodies found on the Green River, the fear went away. Yesterday, it would have to take stories of 30 pound steelies to the surface to get me to fish that river but now, I might just have to give it a try.

btw-I will probally end up (again) on whats her face's site and she will refer to me as a pussy and a pathetic exuse for a man, etc. etc. etc. because of this post. It would sure be better then that homosexual (that is putting it nice) with aids that she called me a couple days ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2001, 07:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan -

You crack me up! The Green was one of my home rivers. The intertidal zone from Meeker to the Duwamish and maybe upstream to Auburn may have been involved in all that before the perpetrator moved on to San Diego in the 90's, but from the headworks to through the gorge to flaming geyser it's a beautiful river and way under-appreciated. I've caught some unbelievable steelhead in the Green, particularly the strong spring native run before they shut it down each year. The gorge is really a special place.

You've got me curious now, gotta go search for the story - is it in the Seattle Times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2001, 07:11 AM

Ryan, I suspect we all have "places" for which we have irrational feelings. You sound pretty normal to me. Tempted to ask the who/where of the Board you're referring to, but minimal interest. You convey the "tone" of the Board very well.

Major reason many of us are here, and on the Inter. Spey Board, is the quality of the members, the ability to ask (which may, on the surface, make you sound like a total "cracker") for information, guidence, etc., without fear of Flaming.

I've fished with a fellow whom I suspect didn't get past the 5 th or 6th grade, the balance of his education was 'self-taught.' He's one of the most truly intelligent, wise, etc., people I've ever met.

I've also fished (was asked to be a local guide) with a fellow who had 2 Phd's and an additional Masters. The fellow was one of the best examples of 'you can't educate an ass' I've ever met. A verrrrry looooong day on the river. The idea that individual is still alive gives me the creeps.

Choose your friends/Boards with care, as to paraphrase: "we are known by the friends we keep."

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-01-2001 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2001, 08:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fred -

Your words say volumes about the kind of people here, we should be honored that you consider this community that way.

Ryan -

Found the article (can't miss it).

Can't say I shared your fears but it's a bit spooky that I worked at the Renton Boeing Commercial bldg# 10-80, 10-65, etc - directly across the street from Kenworth for years! In any case unless you were a female prostitute prior to 1984 you probably didn't have much to worry about.

This all reminds me of a basic philosophy of mine - the river is unrelated to the society around it. I don't consider it fair to judge by the other. The Green River is a beautiful glacial stream, once the top steelhead river in the state. The Cowlitz was once the heavyweight champion of the Columbia system. The Cedar was a true gem in the suburbs, famous for 20# steelhead. We could go on and on... but let's never blame the river for what careless people do around it, or to it. No, the river is unrelated to the society around it - but when society appreciates a river, well then that is something special. I guess flyfishermen are kinda special too, they have that special bond with the river that lasts a lifetime.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:52 PM

Juro, thanks for the complement, but truth be know: "If you build it they will come."
Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.