Building a Flyrod This Winter? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2001, 08:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Building a Flyrod This Winter?

JimW - I see you are building a flyrod this winter. I am considering it as well.

Would you mind being a case study for the rest of us? I would like to capture the whole process end-to-end and start up a rod building section. We could just do it as a journal of your experience. I'd like to capture each rod style over time, fresh, salt, Spey, etc.

What do you think? Anyone else building a rod this winter?

I think we could also get expert advice from our sponsors along the way as well.

The project will need a leader. You won't have to worry about the web design and development, I'll do that part (unless you are interested in that part of it yourself).

For each rod building participant - just take notes and pictures in a journal style. The project leader will coordinate and I will do the webpages.

It will go into a new section for rod building. I am certain that our sponsors in the rod building business will answer even our trickiest questions.

Let's go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2001, 08:19 AM
Here fishy fishy

I'm in. Just getting ready to take a trip to Smitty's, then Bear's Den to check out rod building materials and, perhaps, some fly tying stuff.
Old 12-01-2001, 08:38 AM

Great Tod!

What are you building?

Are you our new project leader or a case study?
Old 12-01-2001, 07:04 PM

JimW has agreed to take the helm on this project. KUDOS to Jim! If we end up digging up a blank out of this effort, he will be first in line to receive it.

With Tod D, Jim, myself, and anyone else who is going for it this winter - it should make for an interesting journey. I've obviously never built a rod before although sometimes I feel like I've explored most of what FF has to offer, I draw a big blank on this one (pun intended).

By capturing what we find along the way, and through the assistance of our sponsors, I hope the next group who builds their own rod will benefit from what we discover this time around.

I will provide web development support and ask Sean to help out as needed (when he is not busy keeping everything else in top shape around here!). We will also be using the EMEDIA software package that allows those who participate in the project publish webpages form their own computers using a private channel into the rod builders page. More to come on that.

Anyway, if you haven't built a rod this is a good time to work together with novices and experts alike to experience it and carry forward the knowledge to those who might follow suite after us.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:53 AM
Here fishy fishy

Well, my wife would suggest I'm a case study, but not necessarily with regards to fly rod building...

Juro. count me in as a case study. I'm thinking of doing a 10# w/ a moderate-range blank (e.g. St. Croix). Originally thought about a fresh water 3 or 4, but thought I'd use the 10 more and should start there. Assuming I can pull it off, next winter I'll do a 3/4.

I'm planning to join up w/ Smitty's rod building course in January.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:05 PM

Rod Building

For some of the members who may not be lucky enough to have A class to attend or a buddy to work with on this project I offer this.

When I
started building rods I had now knowledge at all of what was entailed short of re-wraping a few guides, repacing a few tips etc.
I went on a search for a good instructional guide and came up with this. THE CUSTOM GRAPHITE FLY ROD Design And Construction By Skip Morris Published by Nick LyonsBooks.

There is wealth of information in this small book[100 pages]with good diagrams and photos and instuction on how to build such things as thread tensioning devices.

I have looked at a no. of other manuals and they all come up short in comparison.

My >02 saltRon
Old 12-02-2001, 12:51 PM

Thanks Ron! Sounds like a sure thing, I'll go look for it on Amazon.com

BTW - I hope we can include you in the list of 'experienced' information sources as we enter into this new obsession.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:26 PM

Building a fly Rod

BUILDING THE BEST LINE SHOOTING ROD IN YOUR ARSENAL

Most factrory produced rods have a built in fault that is there pureley from an esthetic point of view. This is the sizing of the guides from stripping to tip. You will enhance your ability to shoot line with no other changes to your style by increasing the size of the snakes and tip up one size from Mfg. suggestion. Increase the size of the stripping guide by at least one or two sizes. It may look a little odd at first but we are producing a tool not an art piece.
The reasoning behind this is that the line on the shoot is coming at odd angles and starts to whip as it enters the guides and starts to straighten out. The larger Dia. will reduce the whipping and allow the line to flow with less energey loss.

I post this as a suggestion as I know that when we start into these projects We will some times purchase the least expensive components first.

It works for me and lord only knows I need all the help I can get

My .02 saltRon
Old 12-02-2001, 03:39 PM
Recent Member

I may be building

I have a bunch of blanks in my closet that I'd be interesting in building. For variety, I've got some short, light trout rods (6'6" 3wt). I also have a spey I'd like to build, but I'm thinking I'm dreaming on that one. We'll see how keen I get.

Donald Cox
Old 12-02-2001, 03:52 PM

Juro, great idea on the rodbuilding section for the site. I searched the net high and low for rodbuilding info prior to plunging into a project and I was thinking itís funny thereís not much info on the forum. Iím sure that there are quite a few members who can contribute to the knowledge base. I am currently a total novice. Iíve put together a wrapping jig from some scraps in the garage and I am full of enthusiasm. A 9í 5wt is going to be my 1st project, which Iíll build on an inexpensive blank with basic hardware. Next on the list (assuming I have not epoxied myself to anything) will be a 7wt to be used as an schoolie rod for my daughter. Iíll be taking pictures to document my progress and encourage others will do the same.
Tod, we should get together and compare notes sometime. Smitty does incredible thread work, I have a conventional rod he made for me a while back and I still canít believe that butt wrap is single thread work, just incredible.
Ron, thanks for the Great tips, weíll include book title in the reference section of the rodbuilding page.
I think there are probably a lot you guys who have been there done that . I sure would appreciate your input once we get things rolling.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:20 PM

Rod Building

Jim ---- Check out this site http://www.globalflyfisher.com/index.html

saltRon
Old 12-02-2001, 04:42 PM

Ahh, my friend Martin Joergensen's site! Packed with information. Martin's had a 6-7 year headstart over the Forum with his spectacular website and he's been able to recruit help effectively. Maybe he's paying them with his great fly patterns!

I last fished with Martin when he visited Washington State several years ago, maybe 10 by now. I pulled together a mini-clave in honor of his visit. He liked my loop systems and posted them on his site. I still have some of his unique bullet-headed nutrina muddlers in my collection. Ask him about my Skykomish stonefly if you talk to him. We swapped flies in a smoky cafe in the middle of nowhere after floating the upper Satsop River on a cold rainy November day on Bubba's avon raft.

I hope you find our soon-to-be rod building section informative and personal in that it's just us members going through the experience with the assistance of the expert sponsors and other experienced rod builder members. Maybe our niche will be to offer a rod building section that seems really approachable, not something that someone else can do but something that we can do. We won't be doing hexagonal tonkin bamboo here anytime soon

Dac -

Don't rule out the Spey rod though, we'll be announcing some new support from professional rod building people who can keep us on the right track no matter what style of rod.

I will be building a single-hander first, two-hander second.

Juro
Old 12-02-2001, 05:00 PM
Middle Aged Member

I'm signed up for a rod building class after the new year. Any recomendations on what to start with? I really like the way the 2 piece 9 wgt. Backwater cast and thought that might be good blank to start with. But better judgement suggests try building with a less expensive blank.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:16 PM

The Rod Of Your choce

Hi FredA

My sugestion is build the rod that you really want. Nothing is reall going to go wrong before you put the epoxy to it so you do lots of dry fits. the most frustating part of the whole project is doing the thread wraps. Do all the wraps before you start to apply the finish to them. This way you learn as you go and if you see that after finishing the last wrap you could of done better on the first just cut them off and do it over again.
I did a lot of wraps on 1/4 inch dowls before going to the blank.

Lots of luck on your project. saltRon

Last edited by saltRon; 12-02-2001 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:26 PM

IMHO SaltRons advice on guide size is correct. I've built a 4 wt with oversized guides and it amazes me how easily it shoots line. That alone is almost enough reason for me to build my own rods. Given the time I will build a 3 & 10 wt this winter, taking notes and pictures along the way.

If you are not interested in fancy thread art building a rod is relatively simple. The problems I've had were of my own doing. On the 4 wt mentioned above I wrapped the guides too tight and ended up breaking the tip at a guide on the first day I used it . When I finished the replacement tip I took it off the turner too early and then managed to screw up the finish. It's perfectly fishable but is ugly and it might be worth a picture to show what not to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.