Bamboo flyrods - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2001, 10:04 PM

Question Bamboo flyrods

How many bamboo flyrod owners out there?
I want one so much, I can taste it.
My wife said "That'll be the day when you spend $1'500.00 for a stick!"
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2001, 01:42 AM

I absolutely love cane rods. For general trout fishing, the shorter cane sticks in the 7 to 8 foot mark are the finest fishing instruments created.

My first cane rod was built in a rodmakers class that Ralph Moon put together here in SLC. It is based on a 7'6" Leonard taper. Since building and finishing that rod, I have not fished another for trout since, upwards of 5 years. In addition, I now fish it with a DT4 silk line.

I have two new cane rods arriving this month for steelhead fishing. One is a 12' spey rod rated for a 6wt line, the other is an 8 3/4 foot 8wt blank made by Joe Perrigo. Can't wait to fish either!

As a side note, you might want to look at Joe Perrigo. His work is excellent and his finished rod prices are about half of what you are thinking. Look him up on the web under Genessee Valley rods, sorry I don't have the address handy.

Fishing cane for steelhead is more of mindset, accept the limitations when compared to graphite, and enjoy the rythym. This new spey rod is actually really light for wood, a touch under 12 ounces and will perform just as well as my other 6 weight 2-handers as far as distance is concerned. Next rod is going to be a heavy weight in the 13 to 14 foot range for a 9 weight for salmon fishing in Quebec. I was able to find a builder that would make a blank, I enjoy the whole finishing process with silk thread and varnish, in the $800 range.

Tight Lines,

William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 AM

There are a lot of rodmakers out there,some will sell ferruled blanks for short money.If you can tie flies,you can finish a rod.Wrapping a rod is a great winter project.Check out this link.I have one of Mark's rod blanks.He makes a fine rod.
http://www.iea.com/~mruhe/
Domenic
Old 12-03-2001, 09:43 AM

bamboo rods

Thanks Domenic I will. That sounds like a great christmas gift idea for me.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:51 AM
President of CAC

I have a number of them which were left to me by my father... Orvis Battenkill 8 wt... F.E. Thomas, probably 5 wt....Payne....Old leonard and an Abby and Imbrie(maker unknown).
Old 12-04-2001, 09:31 PM

My opinion only, Bamboo rods for show. Fishing go with the graphite. I still have 2 bamboo rods that are whole, one does have a broken tip. I have broken more bamboo rods than most people have had in a lifetime, including one of the first built for saltwater fishingwhich goes back to the early 1950's, in fact I had it with me when in the service stationed in San Juan.Caught quite a few small tarpon on it. Today I don't think I could cast it all day, very heavy., for fishing give me graphide any day. I did find that a boron rod was better casting, but was very brittle. Lasted about 2 years. Just my thoughts on rods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.