Smelt fishing anyone - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2001, 06:23 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to troutdude
Smelt fishing anyone

Not really fly fishing, but a great way to get through the long, cold winter nights. My brothers and I ( Chris, Drew,and Bob) have been renting a shack on the Kennebek river in Maine in January for the last few years. Wood stove, electric lights, a bag of sand worms, and a hole in the ice----what a good time. It's the only time I eat , drink, laugh, drink, catch a bucket of delicious smelt, laugh, drink, and still call it fishing. In fact at my good friends annual game dinner, I am known as the "smelt man". My Maine smelts, fresh out of the deep frier, are always a big hit. Anyone out there got any good SMELT stories?
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2001, 04:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

BTW -

Smelt will take the fly very well. I was camping up at Rand Pond in New Hampshire which is loaded with smelt and big trout. It's a no-bait fishery but once you hook a smelt on a little stone nymph it's not uncommon for a big trout to go nuts chasing after it.

With all due respect to smelt, the excitement came from the latter experience. I fried some up and tried them, pretty tasty but I had a heck of a time filleting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2001, 04:58 PM

The cleaning job is not so difficult if you have the Orvis micro knife and grip-rite finger sock that allows you to attach the blade directly to your index finger.

Gregg
Old 11-30-2001, 06:07 PM

Some Canadians have been known to eliminate any of the normal nicities ususlly associated with the cooking of fish and fry these little fellows whole while fishing at nite , with a big fire and copious quantities of the Barly and the Malt

saltRon
Old 11-30-2001, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
It is a blast. I live right across the street from a small city that gets put out on the ice. The local pizza and chinese restaurants even deliver.
The fly eating smelts are freshwater, the ones we take through the ice a anadromous sea-run rainbow smelt. a large one is about 10".
I don't have much room here, but I can offer breakfast and a shower at my apartment after an all-nighter on the river. (sold my house when Ian got sick)
Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.