Its Snowing!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 09:54 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Its Snowing!!!

Now I know its going to turn to rain pretty soon and it will all melt away but it sure does look cool out there.

I can not remember when we had this much snow this early in the year. I know its barely 2"s but it is still pretty cool when you consider it is still November.

It looks like we are going to be in for a stormy messy winter. Good!! Need every inch of snow in the mountains after last year.

So here I sit enjoying the humor and the insanity via the DOT Freeway Cams. Ever notice how hardly anyone in this state (Wa) can actually drive in the snow!?!? Could it be the influx of Californians??

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 11-28-2001 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2001, 10:03 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Who woulda thunk!

I only remember 2 or 3 storms in the 12 years I lived there, and one of them was in 1985 around Thanksgiving - 3 feet!

Below is the view on I-5 (WSDOT photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cctv218.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	16  
Old 11-28-2001, 10:45 AM
Mod

112th st eh? Thats not too far from my house.

Here is a few Winterwonderland photos of views from my house.

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 11-28-2001 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:58 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

What a difference a day makes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cctv218.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	27  
Old 11-29-2001, 03:30 PM

Fishing in a heavily falling snow is a very spooky thing. Was fishing the Green (Tuckwilla area?) many years ago. Across the river way a major 6 lane road (forget which one now). Anyway, with the heavy snow fall all the sound of the cars, water, everything! was blanked out. You could hear your heart beat it was so quite.

Only time I can ever remember being spooked out, like I'd gone deaf.
fe
Old 11-29-2001, 03:45 PM
Chief of E.P.

Thumbs up Fishing in Snow

I work for a school district so occasionally, fish gods willing, we have snow days. Some of my favorite memories the last few years have been waking up to find a dump of snow, running down to the TV to verify school is closed and then heading to the river.

Maybe it goes back to my high school days in Idaho when I was a distance runner and loved to go out and run in the snow. Silent and soft. I love fishing in the snow for the same reasons. Plus I like that little ridge of snow that builds up on a spey rod as you guide the fly through a long drift.

ST
Old 11-30-2001, 10:40 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Wink

Hey ST,

I love the snow too- love walking in it, running in it, and even fishing in it (to a point).

I remember a day on the Skykomish in January years back - I ran into Forum member Skookum on the Two Bit Bar.

Only the lunatic fringe were out that day - our guides were iced, large chunks of the stuff were floating down the middle of the river, and I could practically hear those near-comatose steelies laughing at us from their watery lairs!

There was a moment when we both realized it was probably time to head home (which we eventually did), but I never regretted going out. Fishing in all sorts of conditions has made my local rivers feel much more like a second home to me. Snowing, flooding, or barely flowing - a rarely regret a trip to the river.

my .02,

DS
Old 11-30-2001, 11:09 PM

ryan,

you might be right about washington drivers in the snow... but i swear most of them can't drive in the rain either

chris
Old 11-30-2001, 11:34 PM

Ryan/Chris: ton of memories. Lived in Washington for many years. Remember my office overlooking 405 in south Bellevue and watching the 'drivers' (that's an oxyemoron i think) cavort in the snow. I'd call wife-type and say I'll be home a bit late. "Snow, " just watching the idiots crash into one another. The hills coming east out of downtown Bellevue were something to watch. Sloooly, sloooooooly, under control ....... tweek, and 360's down the rest of the hill.

fe
Old 12-01-2001, 01:11 AM
Mod

I love fishing a river that was recently caught up in a snowstorm. It is one of the most beautiful sites in all of my fishing and Fred is totally right about the eary silence (it has to be one of my most favorite natural phenomenea) that falls on a snowcovered river and its surounding area.

Fred is also right about the entertainment that PNW's (most likely transplanted morons...sorry, I mean Californians) provide on snowcovered roads. I remember a couple winters ago as snow fell after a couple days of below freezing temperatures. The snow stuck instantly to the already chilled highway. I have never in my life seen Hwy 99 as backed up as it was that night. I couldn't help but laugh as one fender bender took place after another. Suddenly a mass migration began as people used our parking lot as an overnight storage area for their vehichles. They abandonded their cars and the holiday shoppers-by the 100's-started making their way home via the foot.

My co-worker was kind enough to give one gentlemen a ride who was walking from 156th to 220th in 25 degree weather.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.