diy in the florida keys - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 PM

diy in the florida keys

help. need some advice about the keys. Im in Miami on holidays now I will rent a car tomorrow and would like to drive to the keys. Any idea about where can I wade for bones?. someone told me that is possible to see some tarpon also at this time. Any advice will be really appreciated. Thanks Lucas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM

the keys can be tough to wade for bones specifically. Any of the bridges hold fish though and swinging a sinking line under them in the current could catch you almost anything. There's a guy who's written a lot about diy bonefishing in the keys. I think it's diybonefishing.com
Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Looking for info too

Hello,

I have been hunting down all info I can find on DIY fly fishing in the keys. I feel as though I am fairly set but always want more info because when it comes to SW fly fishing, I am a complete novice. Last time i was in the keys I got a guide and it turned out to be a basically expensive boat ride while I only had a shot at a few bones. This time i plan to explore on my own and am open to catching ANYTHING. If anyone has more info to help or if anyone will be down there later this week, I would love to hook up for some tips. I can return the favor for anyone wanting to come out west to Colorado for trout. In fact, if anyone would be interested in taking me out on their boat, I would be more than happy to guide them on a float trip in mine out here.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 AM

where in the keys are you planning to go?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 AM

We are staying in Marathon and I planned on exploring some areas around there, especially early in the morning. I looked at some posts and articles talking about a few flats around Long Key and up by Pennekamp. Also, I used Google earth to spy out some closer to where we are staying that might be fun to check out.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:40 PM

I just got back from the Keys and had a great time. There is Redfish in the backcountry which is a blast and a beautiful thing to see a large group of Reds in the skinny water. There is Tarpon in Islamorada. I know your kinda iffy about hiring a guide but it really is the best way to go. Otherwise it's like a needle in a haystack out there. You don't want to be stuck fishing the bridges with the googans. Give my buddy Ryan a call, he is very reasonably priced. coderedcharters.com he will put you on fish. Tell him Dave from Hawaii sent you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.