Who all is coming down the 7th and 8th?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2001, 02:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Who all is coming down the 7th and 8th??

I am sure you all know about the WDFW comission meeting concerning proposed regulations December 7th and 8th. I am sure you also know that one of the proposed regs is to eliminate exceptions to wild steelhead release in the state.
The meeting is here in Vancouver WA, fortunatly for me this is my home town so I don't have to travel. I wish i had the ability to offer lodging to thoes who have to travel for this event..
Anyway the commisioners know that WSR state wide is a hot topic , I DO NOT!!! know for a fact but you can bet that the public testimony for it will be on Friday to eliminate as much testimony as possible on the topic.. Make no mistake WDFW as a whole is OPPOSED to WSR thye always have been they always will be. WDFW has heard clearly in the past that sport anglers are in favor of WSR but have ignored us in the past. Now this year they need to hear it LOUD AND CLEAR. We need to make it so that if they decide against WSR that they are doing so absolutely against the will of the sportsmen on who fish in Washington.
I strongly encourage anyone who can possibly make it to come. We need absolutely as many people to come as possible!! Would be great if there was standing room only!!
You do not need to come prepared to give verbal testimony , they also accept written testimony.
A couple points to mention however you choose to testify.

1. eliminating the exceptions to WSR would simplify the statewide regulations.. (the comission loves simplified regs)

2 the departments own study shoewd that 61% of sportfishers in WA prefer no harvest of wild steelhead!

Anyway you can look at the whole proposals package there might be more that you are interested in than just WSR..

Everyone should offer at least written testimony and try try try to be here in person..
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2001, 02:47 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Rob-
You can guarantee I will be there if it is on Saturday!!! But if those bastards push the meeting forward to Friday, I will not only be fried beyond belief but I will also not be able to make it as that is the last day of intruction before finals week.

If it is on Saturday, I will probally drive down Friday evening, stay the night and attend the meeting on Saturday. I'm not sure what time the testimony will be over at but if it gives us some time, maybe we could hit the Kalama or Washougal or whatever you suggest?
Old 11-24-2001, 12:47 PM

That would be cool Ryan I am planning on going to both days of the meeting. but depending on the Schedual of the topics i might be in and out.. If you stick around for that Sunday or I can show you a few runs on the East Lewis or the Washougal.

As far as written testimony goes simply read the proposed regs and tell the comission what you think. There is a proposal to change the gear that is legal use in fly fishing only water. As it is now you can not use a leader longer than 15 feet. They want to make it so you can use any length of leader. So theoretically a guy could use a fly reel full of mono and i am sure you could see that would be the end of the fly fishing only water.

Like i said I don't know that the public testimony On the WSR issue will be on Friday but it sure seems like something the commission would do.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:01 PM

Rob,
I'll be there, only about 1/2 hour from work so I'll come whatever day they decide on. If you want to hook up drop me a line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2001, 06:30 PM
Chief of E.P.

Thumbs up

I got the agenda on Wednesday from the commission secretary. The sportfishing proposal testimony is scheduled for Saturday, the 8th, starting at 12:45. Given the expected turnout, I would show up early.

I will be there.

Duggan
Old 11-24-2001, 09:04 PM
Mod

That is excellent news!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2001, 10:04 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like there will be busloads of people who want to be sure things go well

Wish I could go, of course I will be there in spirit as they say - people say that but in my case there is no exagerration. It promises to be a potential turning point in the way we care for our wild steelhead. I hope a little bit of history is made!
Old 11-25-2001, 02:16 AM
Mod

How far is Vancouver from the decent water on either the Kalama or Washagoul?

If the testimony doesnt start till noon, Im sure I could get in a couple hours of fishing through a couple runs before the meeting.

A little relaxtion before I let loose...
Old 11-25-2001, 03:09 AM

kalama would be an hour Washougal would be 20 minutes
Old 11-25-2001, 11:08 AM

I am new to this forum but not to flyfishing. I am a member of both the WSC (although I haven't been able to make the meetings) and the WFFC.

The WFFC has chartered a bus to go to Vancouver. It will pick up at Northgate and Ferderal P&R's. It will cost $10 and will stop at the Fish Tales Brewery in Olympia on the return trip.

I will get details and post a phone number monday.

Leland.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:06 PM

Leland -

Welcome and very glad to hear from you! That was a great evening on the Snoqualmie with you and Brian that evening, especially having that feisty summer run grab my fly, zip across the current before spitting it like a wad of flavorless gum.

Your post makes we want to buy an airline ticket just to make the trip but given the choice between a longer visit with Spey rods in hand I'll have to defer to the spirited crew that will be in the bus. Please put in a good word for those of us who are unable to attend.

Here's the picture of the pale duns you pointed out that night:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paleduns.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	6  
Old 11-25-2001, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NrthFrk16
How far is Vancouver from the decent water on either the Kalama or Washagoul?

If the testimony doesnt start till noon, Im sure I could get in a couple hours of fishing through a couple runs before the meeting.

A little relaxtion before I let loose...
Ryan -

I would personally go for East Fk Lewis myself. Even if you just hit Daybreak and the stretch downriver from the gravel pit side. Don't ignore the pocket water above the bridge as well, unless it's all different (the gravel braids change every year).

If the Kalama is low enough and you can cross over fish the head of the beginner hole, tackle grabber and chutes above the big campground chinook hole but since they put that rip rap in it's very deep and the walk on the far shore is not easy. If you have a pontoon boat put in at the boat ramp above beginner and float across, fish the far bank and take out at the campground. That should be just right for a few hours in the morning.

Washougal - I'm sure you'd be in good hands with roballen. Great breakfast at that big diner in Kamas too (can't remember the name).

MAN I wish I were going, not only to play on the river in the am but also to do my part at the meeting.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:39 PM
Chief of E.P.

Juro (and anyone else that can't make the testimony) --

You can do your part by sending in written testimony to the commission. They are accepting it up until December 7th. It is important that us locals get down there and say our piece but it is also very important that the out-of-staters let the commission know that they spend money to come to Washington to fish for wild steelhead. No wild steelhead, no tourism money.

I think I posted the relevant address etc. in an earlier post but if anyone needs it, let me know and I will post again.

Duggan
Old 11-25-2001, 02:10 PM

Thanks Sinktip -

Here is the link:

CLICK HERE for original post re: testimony

I will definitely submit a testimony on this critical issue.

Juro
Old 11-25-2001, 02:40 PM
LBFF Mojo

I will not be able to attend but will write something up today to submit.

Give em hell

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.