Fly for bass - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 08:19 PM

Fly for bass

I've recently been fishing for bass with flies. Wolly buggers have been catching me many bass, but now that it's winter the bass are less active and don't usually go for the big wolly bugger. Any suggestions on winter flies for bass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Help us out a little bit. Are you talking Maine or Alabama, rivers, lakes or flowages? If you're north of the Mason-Dixon line I'd say probably a tip-up would be your likely answer. If south and on a lake or flowage, then something that can be fished exceedingly slow. Something like a Clouser minnow would work, but you'd need to barely move it. Location of the fish is critical as they're not likely to move much to the fly. Also using something softer as the wing material on your Clouser, which usually calls for bucktail, would help. Arctic fox and Ultra Select Craft Fur are what I use on mine for such conditions. Actually, a wooly bugger, properly weighted, could also be nearly suspended the same way.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Bass fishing

I fish mainly in lakes and golf course ponds in South Carolina. Do you think a nymph wood work?
Old 12-12-2013, 04:06 PM

I guess it depends upon whether there are many nymphs in the ponds or lakes. I'm guessing if the wooly bugger quit working most nymphs wouldn't do much better. What you want is as much lifelike movement as possible without having to move the fly very much. Most nymphs (note the MOST) have less built in action than a well tied bugger. What do the gear guys use? Finding that out might give you some clues as to which direction you'll go. When water temps were below 50*F I used to rely a lot on jig and pork rind eels. It became a case of almost vertical presentation. A good start would be to find out what they do (at least if they're reasonably successful) and try to copy their approach with a fly.

Don't discount the possibility that it isn't the fly you're using, but that the fish have changed locations. If you're fishing the same shoreline brush, for example, that worked in the fall, they may have moved to deeper water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.