Need appraisal on saltwater reel - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2001, 07:26 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Need appraisal on saltwater reel

I posted this in general forum but thought I'd post this in the saltwater area too. I have a Mmartin 12D saltwater flyreel wih box/instructions that I was using as a spey reel. Ii'm looking at selling it but have no idea on it's current worth. Does' anyone have an idea? Iit's a wonderful rel for being a Martin. It has the floating disc drag that works flawlessly.

Any help wouuld be apreciated. Thanks Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2001, 10:02 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Lightbulb

Hi Jerry,

I looked up Martin Reels in my Bob Marriots catalog, listed as one of the oldest reel manufacturers. All models listed are quite inexpensive. Bob Marriots should be a good place to start to get an idea.

Email: bmfsinfo@bobmarriots.com
http://www.bobmarriots.com

If it is an antique a leading auction house in your area could give you a pretty good appraisel. Here on the east coast Skinners comes to mind, not sure if they are national or not. The next best thing might be just post it for sale with a minimum acceptable Bid on E-bay and see what that market will bring.

My 2 cents worth.

Good luck.

Greg.

PS. Welcome to the Flyfishing forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2001, 12:43 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Thanks Greg for the welcome to the board. I know that Martins are considered cheap, one notch below a pfleuger. But this is a totally different reel. In fact they stopped making them about 10 years ago. This is a nice reel. My problem is not many shops around here that can give me an appraisel. I'm probably going to put it on ebay. Been debating though. It holds a 12# saltwater line and about 350 yards backing.

There's nothing like it in any catalog I've seen in the Martin line. That's why I thought I'd ask on here. Maybe someone uses them. I had tried to find a spare spool for it, but found out they stopped making them when Martin was bought out awhile ago. It's a great reel. I almost thought about keeping it for fishing the deepwater in puget sound with a flie. But I usually hit the surface water and wouldn't need that big of a reel.

Thanks again.

Jerry
Old 11-23-2001, 10:23 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Jerry,

It sounds like a nice reel. Too bad you can't get another spool for it. Tough to find when they are no longer made. I'm in the market for a reel about that size for chasing yellow fin and small bluefin tuna. Would like at least two spools though. I'm hoping to exchange a defective Hp5 large arbor for a large Finor with a cork drag. Otherwise I might be interested. What style drag design is used on that model?
I didn't know if you tried Bob Marriots or not, they carry just about everything and I have found most members of their staff to be quite knowledgeable about reels. The had alot of other resources too. I discovered this when I was looking for a discontinued Lamson LP5. They found me two with spare spools! If you haven't tried them yet I think they might be able to help.

Greg.
Old 11-23-2001, 08:56 PM

Jerry, In the past Martin had some interesting reels. Yours sounds like one of those. Since they were bought out by Zebco they seem destined for the lower end of the market.

Have you tried contacting Zebco about the spare spool. I bought a couple of spools for a pre-merger reel directly from them 6 or 7 years ago.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:49 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Hey Greg. This haas a big disc drag, but has a unique free running drag feature. When you reel in it's like a centerpin, it has zero drag and wil spin for quite awhile if you just tap the handle. But start feeding line out fromm the drag and it kicks iin with a low inertia. Iit's served me well and hheld uup well. I may have to go to Bob an find out what it's worth or if tey can find a sppare spool if you're interested iin it.

Thanks Jjohn. Ii didn't know who had bought them out. I just know the went realy cheap after the buyout. This reel is a very nice rel and held up as wel aas y SA's an Hardy I have.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:44 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Jerry,

I found out I only recievied 55% of the cost of the returned reel and spool due to time passed prior to return. Better than nothing, But I have to spend the money there. I am interested in the reel, But unemployment makes it impossible to make a purchase right now. Frankly I don't see that changing for a while looking at the current job market.

So don't hold it on my account even though I'd like to tell you otherwise :-(.

Thanks,
Greg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.