Using A Two Hander In A Restigouche Or Gaspe Canoe - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Question Using A Two Hander In A Restigouche Or Gaspe Canoe

Just wondering how the two handed rod is used in the twenty six foot canoes used on these rivers? I assume you over head cast? What type of line do you use, your regular spey line? I have seen a lot of pics of fish caught on the Restigouche and Gaspe rivers with the fisherman holding a two handed (spey) rod in their hand. Just wondering how they are used, I don't see how one can spey cast from the middle of a twenty six foot canoe, which is usually where the fisherman is. Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 PM

Speyfishing

Leo,

I've done quite a bit of canoe fishing on the Restigouche and Matapedia Rivers. It takes a little modification, but speycasting is possible from the middle and the back (actually the front) of these canoes. I avoided the long rods and used mostly short speyrods which were often referred to as boat rods. I haven't done this since the switch rod became so popular, so I just used 11 1/2' to 12 1/2' speyrods. I fished scandi heads, almost always floating with perhaps an intermediate polyleader. Remember, that any cast that comes from an anchorpoint is a speycast and that can be done in a canoe. It might take a little experimenting to determine what would work for you. Sometimes when I was reaching a long way out I'd end up doing an overhead cast, but for anything less than maximum distance, a speycast worked fine, and I only rarely hooked anyone in the canoe, and when I did it was often me (or even more often the anchor rope!)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Would you be doing mainly single speys, right hand up casting to the right bank and left hand up casting to the left bank?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Cack-handed

I've never learned to cast with the non-dominant hand up, and believe me I've tried. Most of the casts I use are single speys done Scandinavian style with the RL being done cack-handed. Even though when wading my cack-handed cast is actually better than the other way around, I did find it somewhat awkward in the canoe. The key thing for me was due to the use of the canoe it was rarely necessary to uncork prodigious casts. In fact, one of the things I had to constantly try to control was my urge to overcast simply because I could. Some of the spots on the Matapedia near town are a little wider, but most of the water of the Restigouche that I fished, which was the old Red Pine Mountain Lodge water, wasn't that wide at all. I would say that in most cases I could single spey out to about 80' on each side of the boat. If I had to cast farther I'd then overhead cast. What we do these days on the Muskegon in Michigan out of jetsleds and powerdrifters isn't really much different. The need to get the fly deeper means some tackle is different, like intermediate Skagit heads, and mending is quite different between steelhead fishing and Atlantics, but the casting is still pretty much the same.

Good fishing!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.