Anyone familiar w/ Fishermens Feathers in the UK? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2001, 08:42 AM
Here fishy fishy

Question Anyone familiar w/ Fishermens Feathers in the UK?

Came across an add by a UK company, Fishermens Feathers, for legal Jungle Cock capes in the Jan/Feb "Fly Rod & Reel". Very good prices on A-B-C grade capes.

Before plunking down $ on a grade B cape, wanted to see if anyone else was familiar w/ them. Apparently, they were at the Int'l Flytying show this past weekend in Somerset, NJ. Anyone attend? Did you happen to see them there?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all input.

FYI - here's their website:
www.fishermensfeathers.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2001, 09:07 AM
Flats Rat

Tod

It's been a few years since I purchased anything from these guys but there was never any doubt about the quality of their products. In fact the price on those Jungle Cock capes has come down quite a bit since they first started rearing them in captivity.

Maybe try a half cape to start with?

Hope this helps.

Adrian
Old 11-20-2001, 09:16 AM

Tod, I saw that ad and was wondering the very same thing. Are you interested in splitting a cape to see how they look?
Old 11-20-2001, 12:21 PM
Here fishy fishy

Adrian & John - Thanks!

John - I'd definitely be interested in splitting a cape. I was thinking of a grade B cape ($50 according to the ad in "FR&R"). It's one of my "wife's" Christmas presents for me, so I get to order it.

Are you in CT? I'm in southeastern MA, but am down to CT usually monthly as my wife's family is in the south central part of the state. Let me know either here or through an email and maybe we can set this up.

Tod
Old 11-20-2001, 02:48 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If you share a cape ("split" is not a good word to use in this context!) you might consider dividing it so there are equal portions from either side of the cape for both of you. I guess it only matters if you are using them to match on either side of a fly, like eyes or the underwing of a Durham Ranger, etc.

Probably the best approach is to cut the skin of the cape into four horizontal sections so that each gets a upper half slice (long stem/large) and a slice from near the base (small).

I would ask for a cape with a very low percentage of split feathers; hopefully that's what they mean by "super quality". It does appear to be a really good source and the prices are awesome.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:41 PM
Here fishy fishy

Kind of like a faux paus I made in England when I asked a female work colleague for a "ride" home...

Thanks for advice Juro. I was going to post my follow up question: "how does one split...er, I divide up a cape to share?..."
Old 11-20-2001, 08:44 PM

Tod for dividing I had thought of using my mothers method of preventing fights beween my sisters and I. One cuts and the other chooses. Juro raises good points on the size of feathers that we should consider if we do split a cape. Did you get my e-mail. After the day I had today I'm not sure it went through.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:35 PM

My God!!!! Even my Russian Grandmother from Minsk did this. Is there no place to hide?
fe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.