15.000 Salmon?! - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM

15.000 Salmon?!

According to this article...:

http://www.fin-chasers.com/Magazine....ers.2.2013#134

...Icelandic fly fisherman, Arni Baldursson, has caught 15.000 salmon.

How's that even possible?

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
It's highly unlikely. Just do the math. If he has fished the rivers for 30 years straight without a break which is also unlikely he would have had to land 500 salmon every single season. If each season contains approximately 60 fishable days and he has fished non stop every fishable day, which I also doubt, he would have had to land over 8 salmon every single day he has fished for 30 years.

I fished Iceland's Midfjardara, which is one of Icelands best rivers. We fished it on its best weeks ever as per the camp management and the famous Ernest Schweibert who also fished that week. The anglers leaving the camp upon our arrival had very few fish due to a severe draught and then terrible rainstorms and wind for the last two days. When we arrived, due to the high water, the entire run of salmon which were holding in the Fiord for a month rushed into the river and filled the pools with fresh fish. I was one of the high hookers and took 32 salmon for the week which averages around 7 per day. You would have to do this and more for every year for thirty years and every day. Not possible.

I assume he has caught many more salmon than most people including myself but 15,000 is perhaps a big of a stretch.

I am at my camp on the Matane river and have been here since mid June. We have had a fabulous run of fish this year and it is my best year ever with 9 fish landed and 12 lost. Even though I am very pleased with these results I am no where near achieving my 15000th fish.

Tags
atlantic salmon, fin chasers magazine, iceland, salmon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.