We have lost a friend! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2001, 03:48 PM

We have lost a friend!

Yesterday morning ,my friend ,Mike Craven, passed away. Mike lost his battle with non-hodgkins lympthoma (sp?). If you knew Mike, you might have met like I did, as a dad,watching our kids play Little League baseball together, or at a CCA meeting, Mike was an inspiration to me when he and I talked about starting the Cape Cod Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Asso. and he was at the meetings last spring to kick it off. Or you might have met him while he was on the job. Mike was one of the Enviromental Police in the upper cape area charged with making sure we all new and followed the rules when it came to the fishing game. This guy was a wonderful asset to his profession, a fantastic dad to his 10 year old son, Jimmy. I don't think I ever met his wife or 12 year old daughter, but watching him and his son, it was obvious, he was a hell of a dad and husband. And he was a good friend to me, one that was taken much too soon.
Please, say a prayer for Mike !
I'll miss you
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2001, 04:04 PM

Sorry to learn of the loss.

My thoughts are with you and his family.

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2001, 05:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Brian -

Mike sure sounds like one heck of a guy. We can be sure he's in good hands now. Each meeting that the Cape Cod CCA holds past/present/future will be a tribute to him and those who knew and loved him.

Let's take the time to do things with Jimmy in the seasons to come, we can never replace Mike but as a father myself I am certain that our time is a gift to his son that we can give in his stead.

How about it? Think he would like to join us out on Monomoy this summer? He doesn't need to do what we like, I'll be happy to do what he likes. Maybe Nick S. can show him a nasty curveball, I've never seen Nick pitch but the way he casts I know he must place the ball well and probably throws some heat too. Maybe we could all spend some time with Jimmy to let him know that the inspiration his dad gave to others will come back to him, and in that sense he's not really gone.

Let's do it buddy.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:26 PM
Secret:Time on the water

I would just like to send my heartfelt feelings of sorrow and sadness out to both you and Mike's family. I am not a stranger to cancer as I lost my mother at age 48 to breast cancer and I am now shuttling my father back and forth, along with the incredible help of my wife, to the hospital to treat his lung and brain tumors. My father was a very devoted fisherman until becoming ill and I wish he could get well enough for just a little while to come and join me for another chunking trip to the Housie I for one would be more than willing to give of some of my time next season to take Jimmy out on my boat for some fishing if that is what he would like to do as I am familiar with his feelings right now. Don't feel sorry for Mike or me or his family that is not what we want, what I would like to see is that you give someone you love a big hug and tell them you love them the next time you think about it, we far too often don't say or do the things we should, me included, and the next thing you know those that we love are gone and we are left wishing and wanting. Just some food for thought, not preaching, and god bless Mike and his family.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 11-15-2001, 11:22 PM

Not good news at all.
fe
Old 11-16-2001, 09:22 AM
Fly chucker

I recently lost an aunt to cancer, so I have an idea of what Mike's friends and family are going through. Warm thoughts and prayers are with them.

Mark
Old 11-16-2001, 09:33 AM
President of CAC

I am sorry to hear that Case.. I did not know him, but I know it must be hard on you as a friend of his.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all the kind words, Believe me, Mike deserves them all.
Juro, I'm sure Jimmy will be interested in some outings next season, I think we should get a bunch of kids together next year, Maybe start a kids group, I know Brandon would most likely step up and show the other kids how to fish.
These kids are more into computers than any of us and could make some new friendships. ( just thinkin about the future of the Forum)
I've got 2 who would enjoy a trip out to Monomoy as well.
Let's do it !
Old 11-16-2001, 04:49 PM
Here fishy fishy

Brian,
Very sorry to hear. Thoughts & prayers are with you.
Tod
Old 11-16-2001, 06:57 PM

My sympathy to Mike's family.

Great idea to have the kids out fishing - Spring Kid's Clave - how about it! I know my son Brett would be psyched for something like that. I am open to taking Jimmy on an outing with Brett and myself too.

Let's all pitch in and make sure Jimmy can have some good time on the water!

DaveP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.