your most productive fly pattern - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2001, 01:13 PM
Recent Member

your most productive fly pattern

What would you say is your most productive fly pattern for the late summer early fall? (labor Day) ect. And recipe if possable. Thanks, Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2001, 01:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

For stripers it's a toss up between a good sand eel, juvie bunker, and silverside - with my money going on what the ongoing feed bag is providing to the game fish in any given situation. If that doesn't work I will go to something totally different.

For instance, if the pogies are being run up the shoreline and the bass are staking out a rocky obstruction, why throw a silverside? Then if they won't take my best imitation, the go for stimulation (e.g. imitator vs stimulator). Throw something totally different and get their attention. Most cases a good imitation is all I ever get to experiment with, it usually works like a dream.

If big cow bass are pink-lipped and rooting fat summer sand eels from the sand bottom, why would you throw a bunker fly? They will gladly accept a good sand eel pattern, sand eels are "God's gift to flyfishermen". Slim and easy to cast, yet catches the monsters in wide range of situations from flats to rips.

That being said, those are my top three flies for this time of year. Sand eel - the reel eel, pogie - Juro's juvie (for lack of a better name) and for silverside I tie a striper version of my coho candy (in the coho salmon patterns). These are in the archives if you are interested.

Now if I am hitting the offshore rips with Capt.Bruce Peters... a mondo squid or foot long rip eel would be on the line instead. If they are aggressive, a banger would go on; and if they are crabbin' I have an easy felt crab to throw too.

I don't know if there really is a "most" productive pattern...
Old 08-24-2001, 10:51 PM

1) Grass hoppers, big fat, juicy deer hair grass hoppers.
2) Enlarged nymph w/legs, tied in a 2x long streamer hook.
3) Black marabou leach pattern.

These three are hard to beat on Ohio streams & rivers.
Going after hatchery trout?
Use spun deer hair, clipped to look like a pellet (trout-chow), works like a charm, only not as glamorous to the Isaac Walton League. ;-)
Old 08-25-2001, 02:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Since I figured this was a striper question I stuck to the coastal pattern mix, but since MFM opened up the discussion if we were to talk steelhead I would say that the top three would be (a) sedge muddler (b) flashabou ribbed matuka rat (c) pink pupa - and not in any order of priority; once again it depends on the water being fished. Also that could change quickly with new experiences.
Old 08-25-2001, 10:02 AM
Recent Member

I guess I should have been more specific. OOps.
I was refering to striper, blues ect. In the Chatam area. Sorry my bad. Thanks Greg
Old 08-25-2001, 11:41 PM

sluggo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.