where to fish from shore - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2001, 01:53 PM
Recent Member

where to fish from shore

I will be in Chatam on Labor Day and will have acess to a boat but was hoping to fish from shore on the hours I'm not in the boat. Any good suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2001, 02:05 PM
Middle Aged Member

Lot of places. The beach at Chatham Light is a good place to start. I'll defer to John Morin, Juro, etc.

Speaking of the light, I was there this morning. Kind of slow. Picked up a nice schoolie in the surf out on the bars. Some nice fish are being taken right along the beach.

Fred A.
Old 08-23-2001, 02:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The area is loaded with good spots, but the secret is to be at the right one at the right time }>

The most recent information is usually the best information, unless you're talking about migration season when things change every tide.

Right now I would say that your best bet is to start at the lighthouse at dawn. You'll have a low tide around 7:30-8am, couldn't ask for better. Hook up with one of us to show you the bars if you like.

Then if you have the time jump on the Rip Ryder and head over to South Beach or North Monomoy. You will have a flooding tide and fish should be coming up onto the flats on the inside, or you could fish the outside in the surf. I haven't been out to the flats since before boneclave but I would imagine the sight fishing will be great with a late morning flood.

Another option is to park at the refuge and walk out to the Stage Harbor inlet on the end of Morris Island, quite a walk but it should be doing really well. You might even find some hardtails over there.

Another option is to go fish the bayside, not too far of a drive from Chatham. Start at daybreak and follow the water out to the edge of the Brewster Flats, work your way back in as it floods and you should be done just in time for breakfast.

Are you there that weekend -or- just Labor Day proper?
Old 08-23-2001, 06:06 PM
Recent Member

I will be there friday through monday and returning home on Moday.
Old 08-23-2001, 07:10 PM
President of CAC

I will be there in Chatham all weekend and can show you around the light house and south beach... save you some time. Pray for fog... that will keep us undetected for some of the spots. I can e-mail you my number... let me know. I will then take the rip rider to south beach or north monomoy.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:49 PM
Recent Member

I'll be down for the week starting Saturday, hope to hit the light and south beach hard. I'll be wearing the dark blue "Cannon" ball cap. Hope to see a few of you out there.........DennisS....
StriBlu, is it worth the effort to be out on the beach before 5:00am?
Old 08-24-2001, 08:25 AM
President of CAC

Dennis, the tides as you might suspect are the Key. I have gotten there at 4 and mostly by 4:30... but that is more of a personnal thing than out of necessity. I have found over the years that when the tides are right the fish become active at about between dawn and day break... you also notice increased bird activity at about day break. So 5 is fine. I know a couple local guys who spin and bait fish from 3 to day break and with the right tide have hit big fish... but have also come up empty... tides... tides... tides.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:31 AM

John...correct me if I'm wrong but, high tide Sat on the outside is 0524...to arrive at 0500 will be just in time for high slack. By 0600 there will be some tidal movement with a 1123 low tide. What start time seems most productive?
pg
Old 08-24-2001, 08:56 AM

This weekends' tides are good for sight fishing on Monomoy... might be a good time to see if the dog days are over out there. The fish are there, it's a matter of their mood. I actually like when they are picky because it makes every hookup a moral victory.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:23 AM
President of CAC

Pete.. good question... ideal time would be from 8 am on to low... but I will still be there at 5... with a fog cover things should be good and at certain holes the time of day will not matter...just my thoughts... would like to take a 10 am shuttle to South beach and fish the ocean side at low. then move back into the bay side on the incoming.. may not go to Monomoy
Old 08-24-2001, 01:35 PM

John...Saturday!...Unless I get hit by a meteorite or abducted by extra-terrestrials (again), I'll be looking for you at 0500 by the light...
LET'S GO FISHING!
Old 08-24-2001, 02:24 PM
Middle Aged Member

I'll be looking for Ishmeal and Striblue at 0500. Was there this morning - very dead, nobody got nuttin. The front going through last night must have put Mr. Striper down. On arrival I talked to a guy who picked up a 36+" Thursday am. He said he had a cow on this morning that got off. The timing on these fish was high outgoing with little current. I think an earliar start along the beach might produce, say 3:30 - 4:00am. Don't think I'll make it that early though.

Fred A.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:35 PM

Quote:
stipercrazy (08-23-2001 07:06 p.m.):
I will be there friday through monday and returning home on Moday.
Not 100% yet but I am pretty sure I can meet up with you one of the days. The tides will work out for a dawn sortie.

Looking forward to it!

Juro
Old 08-24-2001, 04:25 PM

Dawn Patrol: Lead DeterminedStrider
Deputy Lead HookSetFred
Slot JuroTheIntimidator
Search&Rescue SoloOffcentre
Scheduled Take Off 0500
Rondezvous TheLight
...'soundz like a plan...
Old 08-24-2001, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I don't have much experience on the cape but I plan to be back labor day weekend if I can get the ok from the wife. 5 am at the light, eh? A few co-conspiritors would make it interesting. Someone want to start a list for cell phone #'s. Anywhere to get a cup-o-joe and a cruller near the light before we meet? I'll probably leave Maine Friday night and crash in the Suby till the rendevouz. Chris 8-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.