In one those funks - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2001, 02:57 PM

In one those funks

OK I am in one of those bad funks right now. I am 0 for 5 fish hooked to landed this summer. I hooked one yesterday on the first cast with a new pattern and got two rod bucks and then gone. Different hooks, different rods, different leaders, different flies. Just one of those streaks I guess. At least I have had the opportunity to get into 5 fish. Hopefully fall will keep treating me well.

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2001, 06:05 PM
Chief of E.P.

Jeff,

Keep at it and keep your head up. It seems that these LDR blues go around from time to time. Two springs ago I piles up 8 or 9 in a row before I coaxed one to the beach. One of my frequent fishing buddies is currently 0-for-9 on fish this summer. They go away eventually though if you only keep casting.

ST
Old 08-20-2001, 06:22 PM
Mr. Mom

I'm currently 5 for 5, and I KNOW it's not skill! I think the secret is to have the reflexes of a three toed sloth... You know, the kind that has moss growing on its back? By the time I realize a fish is on it has already taken 20 feet of line and has gone down river, up river, and is usually running back down when I start trying to set the hook. This technique seems to be working like a charm!
Old 08-20-2001, 10:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hang in there! Steelies are no easy feat in the first place and funks definitely happen. I once got into the teens, but broke it with a 17 pound buck that I won't ever forget. It was a special summer fish, and fought many times over what the others did but I landed it.

I had loops come off (last store bought I ever used), tippets get sawed thru by headshaking bucks, hot hens leaping off and throwing an extra leap for good measure after it threw the hook, fish torpedoing down rapids so far I was hoping to get my fly line back, and simple spits right at the gravel - you name it. I only started counting because it was just that ridiculous.

Great that you're getting the grabs though, putting the fly where it needs to be, etc. You are definitely due.

One thing that has helped my retention of hooked fish over the years is to put a big bend in the rod and keep it there especially when the fish is off a ways or in cross-currents. This may entail side pressure, etc. I fish barbless and when the pressure eases there is always a little bungee action left in the rod if it started from a big arc. of course there are tenuous moments when the fish is blasting around the pool, but otherwise I ease back into a 'big bend' and try to move the fish.

Not saying you aren't doing everything right, sounds like you are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.