I know we've already talked about hooks, but... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2001, 11:04 AM
Mr. Mom

I know we've already talked about hooks, but...

Had a 26 to 29 inch hatchery buck nearly open up a size 4 7989 on me. Did manage to tail him... Well... actually I managed to grab his tail 3 times, only to have him shake free of my grasp. The barbless hook finally pulled free as he drifted tail first through my legs. Ever have a steelhead come flying back upriver through your legs? I highly recommend it... It's breathtaking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2001, 09:19 PM

So, its the old steelhead between the legs trick, eh?

I had that happen to me before, although it was a northern pike, not a steelhead.
It scared the #@$%&*$ out of me when I remembered pike are freshwater barracudas. (Swimming teeth) ;D
Creek chubs and shiners would be a lot easier on the heart, but not as fun.
I had one hook straightened this summer, by a monster carp. That little #10 nymph hook didn't know what hit it... }>

Your steelhead adventure sounds great, wish I was there...
mayflyman
Old 08-19-2001, 11:53 PM
Mr. Mom

I had one hook straightened this summer, by a monster carp. That little #10 nymph hook didn't know what hit it... }>

Oh Man! Before I moved to steelhead land I used to fish me some carp! There was a lake that was in a shallow bowl in rolling grasslands. Every spring and fall it would flood and there would be acres of what was previously grassy bank under one to three feet of water... As a carper you can imagine what the sight fishing was like. Took a dedicated bonefisherman out there once. His casting literally fell apart when the first 3 footer cruised up :-) during the spawn it looked like people were throwing hand grenades into the shallows... "pound for pound" carp challenge tuna in terms of strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.