South Cape frenzy.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2001, 07:28 AM

South Cape frenzy....

Thanks to everyone with their advice! I ended up unloading the yak and all my gear at the Mashpee town beach with it's parking lot right on the water(it's open to anyone before 8:30 AM). I then drove my truck over to the South Cape Beach parking lot (about 100 yards from the water) where I could leave it all day, and walked the 50 yards down the beach to my kayak on the town beach.
Conditions were FAC. I paddled east toward Poppy, and saw schools of bones in front of the New Seabury golf course (about 1 mile out). I spent the rest of the day paddling after pods. I hooked up with 3 bones; landed 0. Have you ever hear the Power Bar ad where the guy races the gazelle? Well, that's what I felt like, trying to get a shot at those buggers! I'm not a big fan of run and gun in a motor boat, but figure that it's fair chase when you've got to paddle.
About 2 miles off Succonessit (sp?) I found acres of breaking blues which slammed anything including my clouser which had no deer hair left...just a hook and dumbell eyes. By noon the breeze picked up to about 5mph, and the blues dispersed. A nice school of bass to 28" formed in the rip off the golf course about 1 mile offshore, and provided scuffed thumbs for the paddle back to South Cape Beach.
The bones were, by far, the highlight of the day...I've only chased them from shore. It was something to have them hit so close to the boat that I could see the stripes on their back. I had each one on for (what it seemed) 30 seconds. It was probably more like 10, but they still managed to take me into a good portion of my backing. When I got back to S. Cape I had to scrub hundreds of peanut bunker off the deck of my yak. The blues were puking them like a frat pledge on hell night.
Thanks again fellas!
I was supposed to hit Chatham today, but my buddy (with the boat) had to bag. You can find me off Jamestown in the yak. Apparently there was a school of blues from Mackerel cove stretched all the way to Newport. Gotta get me some of that!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2001, 07:48 AM
The Clam Man

Ahhh so that's where the bones went to.
I went across the sound over to M.V. and down to Woods Hole and saw only a few small pods. But I did get to Succonnessit to spend a couple hours catching those bass.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:20 AM
President of CAC

Steve, that was a super Yak/fish report... What a day from the cockpit!
Old 08-24-2001, 11:57 AM

Wow, I'm very impressed that you were able to cover so much ground. The Current Really Rips Out There; I would estimate 4-5 kts. at mid tide. It seems to Run West-East on the Incoming & East-West on the Outgoing. I assume that you played the Tides to get yourself around, but still that a lot of Yakin. Multiple shots at Bones from a Yak in open water is very impressive. My hat's off to you.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nantucket Sleigh Rider! Sounds like you had a blast, glad to hear it. Good call on the launch / parking.
Old 08-24-2001, 02:44 PM
Here fishy fishy

Wow. That was one of the best fishing report posts I've read in a while. I'm equally jealous & impressed. I'm w/ Grego, that tide really seemed to rip out there; to take it on it a kayak and get into so much terrific fishing is flat out awesome.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:36 PM
Recent Member

Great report! What style Yak are you fishing out of?
DennisS
Old 08-27-2001, 09:28 AM

As far as the current went, I paddled against it each way. The wind was in my face on the return, and made for a tough paddle. I'd have preferred otherwise, but whatcha gonna do?
Dennis, I use an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW. It's a sit-on-top about 15'. It really cuts the water well, and has been a ton of fun for my first season in it.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I checked them out on the website, looks like a good rig for use around here.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:39 PM

Juro,
I highly recommend the Scupper Pro TW. It really cuts the water well, and is pretty stable. Some guys want to stay bone dry in their cockpit...I prefer to sit higher on the water on a sit-on-top, even if my ass gets wet. It has loads of room in the dry hold. I can fit my one-piece 7 foot spinning rod (in case the wind really starts honkin') in there along with tons of other gear. I installed (5 minutes) a rod holder between my feet. It holds any rod with a butt. My 10wt G-Loomis fits perfectly, as does my 7' spinning rod. I found it on this site: http://www.ospreybay.com/tite_lock_rod_holder.htm for 27 bucks. Other sites were charging $45. it's all aluminum, so minimal corrosion. The rod holder is key if you want to troll or just chase down fish to free your hands for paddling. The rod holder also is easily removed with a wing nut for transport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.