so what's the word from the Boneclavers? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2001, 12:44 PM

so what's the word from the Boneclavers?

Stuck in the office sunday and monday--waiting to hear some boneclave reports. SUnday day trippers? Fancy palm pilot with sattelite relay from Washburn? Anyone? Bueller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2001, 02:36 PM

I am sooooo bumming right now. Why didn't I plan on taking today off? Tell me what I'm missing...c'mon! Kill me! Kill me now!
Old 08-20-2001, 03:09 PM
Fluff

I'm planning on having fir splinters in my hands tonight, if it makes you feel any better. I don't think those guys really care about any of us that aren't there, so I'll just go fix this floor and forget about it - NOT !
Old 08-20-2001, 03:11 PM

Who wants to be a **claver** anyway??? I didn't even want to go. Stupid clavers...doh!
Old 08-20-2001, 04:20 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Quick report. Sunday no rain and nice weather. First cast for me had 3 swipes by bones but no connections. After that, I hooked a blue and lost it at the boat. Proceeded to tour Nantucket Sound (from the Bonito Bar to Woods Hole) with Bob Parsons. Found tons of blues but left in search of more bonito which never showed for us. Thanks Bob for the awesome tour, I now know where everything is out there. Greg Estey had a bone on Sunday (maybe two?) as well as someone else. Dinner was the usual feast. Awesome food all around. Rain moved in during the evening and drowned the campsite. I left at 7am with Craig to get some time in at work cause the weather didn't look so hot for fishing (thunder and wind, not the rain ;-) ) As I was leaving, the weather seemed to be clearing, so there may be some stellar reports coming in.

Nick
Old 08-20-2001, 06:40 PM

I've been squirming, waiting for a report, as well. Though I must admit that as I was driving to work this morning, in the rain.....I was thinking..."I'm glad that I am not in a tent right now!"
Yeah...I know....another "light weight". These days I consider a night at the Marriott to be "camping".
DB
Old 08-20-2001, 08:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
BOO-HOO-HOO,
You're breaking my heart----NOT!!
I'd take any weather + fishing over
"Just fix this thing" anytime. Forget the hotel and huddle under the tarp like a fisherman. Give 'em hell, boys.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:44 PM

Here's 3,000 Words!

Old 08-20-2001, 11:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

so what's the word from the Boneclavers? part I

Great shots gregO!! Can't wait to get my images from this trip.

Day #1 - flat seas and bright skies, blues all over the place on the flood. My ride was delayed so I jumped on with Capt.Art Sawayer on the 22' Sea Hunt fishin' machine. No chance of boredom wherever there was current and bait, plenty of topwater action that was hard to call.. bonito or blue? Mostly blues, but certainly not automatic - the blues were actually finicky, but that made it fun in it's own way (flies lasted a little longer). Schoolies hanging around the jetties as usual, and suspicious busting patterns with excited birds over them providing the promise of bones at any moment with several of the clavers getting shots and some even connecting...

I know I'll probably miss someone doing this from memory but the arsenal of fishing machines included Capt. Art Sawayer, the Esteys, Bigcat, GregO, Bob Parsons, Brian Casey, Mike Schott, Greg Devereaux, Brian Copley, Terry Weir, Craig Miller, and "Reno" Bob Renauld joined in on day #2... what an awesome group of hosts! We riders extend our deepest appreciation and hope you enjoyed the experience as much as we did, you really make Boneclave possible.

When day #1 was said and done, Gregg Estey and Mike Schott brought home the bacon - a beautiful bonito each, relished as sashimi served by Mike Mahler in grand style, and also grilled by Gregg and Mike Estey with a great mix of spices.

This marked the first time we actually got bonito at the bonito conclave! Past outings produced great success w/ albies, plentiful spanish macs, a few king macs, bass, blues, scup, fluke, etc - but we finally broke the bonito barrier! Congrats to all attendees past, present and future.

My guess that the earlier date would put the bonito in to the boneclave wasn't a bad one, although I suspect waiting a little longer would have put more overall exotics action into the outing - more spanish, albies, along with(?)

Succonesset had blues, pretty thick at times, and a few scarce pods of hardtails. L'Hommedieu (sp?) produced a bone for Mike S., Sully and Mike M. Gregg Estey got one on a bonito bunny out at the fence. Many spots covered, many tales to tell - I'll let them tell their own stories, I have only one perspective to offer.

Like Nick says, the feast did the tradition proud, starting with Terry's homemade salsa and chips (can't get it like this in jars, folks), shrimp cocktail, Bob Parsons' INCREDIBLE cherrystones and homemade chowder (the clam bar was as good as ever) and the new addition - the sashimi bar!
Old 08-20-2001, 11:58 PM

Then came GregO's marinated steak tips, awesome fresh romaine hearts / caesar salad by Nick Svenson, grilled bonito by the fabulous Estey Bros, more chowder, and fresh butter and sugar native corn by Larry P, etc.... I know I am missing something in this smorgasbord but that's about when I cracked open the Knob Creek and was given a wonderful gift of 100% virgin cold-pressed pogie oil by Roop which we all used to wash down the best brownies I've ever had brought by Brian Casey and numerous other treats as we wound down to a full blown fishermans' BS session of epic proportions until the thought of morning angling got us into tents to charge up for the coming day on the water. Funny, that pogie oil tasted exactly like Tennessee whiskey that comes in a square sided bottle from Lynchburg! (thanks Jeff, you da' man)

Despite the consumption of finely distilled sleeping aids, the lightning and downpour did keep me from sleeping well from 4am to daybreak, but the sun shone nicely from 8am and we had some really hot spells amidst the threatening skies on day #2.

And then came Boneclave camp breakfast... prepared by Sully with help from Terry, Mike Estey and others. Sully's camp breakfast is nothing short of amazing. The griddle-browned potato / onion hashbrowns, sausages, eggs with Terry's fresh salsa, fresh coffee, etc - you couldn't find a breakfast joint on the mainland that could compare to that, complete with open-air waterfront seating for all guests and a place to park the boat.

And then there was fishing, and lots of it.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:14 AM

One fishing highlight that stood out from the many for me was when I hooked a bonito from a busting pod from Bigcat's boat with Jeff Roop. I spotted them busting just as we were heading out for the shoals and we went to investigate. Sure enough, they were busting bonito and we had some quality shots at them. A pod began to make their frenzied pattern right off the starboard bow and for once I didn't step on line, short-shank the cast, or tangle the shooting line on anything. The fly landed between a couple busts before the busts were all done and I began an agressive strip retrieve when >WHAM< I was on! It started to zip around and I lost the fish coming at the boat, but everything about that moment was the real thing as far as the concept of the boneclave goes. But it was all really awesome, every bit. I guess what I mean is, this was my bonito at a boneclave, or as close as I could get. It wasn't an albie, spanish mac, striper, blue, etc - it was the toothy grinned McCoy. I've caught them on the fly rod before, mostly by accident at south sound river mouths when the ebb flushes bait into passing pods fancies; but this would've been different.
I will prepare a better report when I am not so exhausted but with one more mention - Greg's young son Brandon. He has more true love of fishing and enthusiasm than ten grown-up weekend warrior anglers and there was never a moment when he wasn't trying to catch a silverside, investigating a crab, begging dad to go back for more fish, or talking about fishing. If the farm-team of future anglers is made of that kind of talent, there is definitely hope for the human race. Thanks Brandon for teaching me again why I grew up to be a flyfisher.

My biggest lesson learned was that in the incoming current the shoals were producing well, but at slack high and on afternoon ebb currents there was a surprising amount of action in-tight to shoreline structures where dark clouds of peabunker were filter-feeding against the current along shore. Each jetty was a striper hazard, each cove a bluefish ambush, and each rip a chow line for any of the gamefish species to pounce on the juvies including the bonito. Perhaps matching the hatch would have produced more hookups out of the shots we had, but my past experiences are that placement of the fly and retrieve can overcome imitation accuracy - I hooked a bonito on a real eel fly with pretty heavy wire meant for blues. The white bonito bunny is a good trigger action, high vis fly but really doesn't imitate a pea bunker very closely, or more importantly a cloud of pea bunker which is what the bonito are attacking. Presentation of any fly that 'looks good enough to eat' into the upwelling burst of a pod of hardtails before the last of the pod gets his chomp in is the key.

More to come, including three rolls of film from my camera!
Old 08-21-2001, 04:28 AM

Great reports keep them coming. Wish I had gone. Next year for sure!!!
FishHawk
Old 08-21-2001, 08:55 AM
President of CAC

OK... OK... no more... I can't stand it... I would not have been able to make it on day two anyway, but I will make sure to schedule my vacation time next year around this. Great Report Juro and what a feed bag...sounds like the waters are really hopping. Look forward to more reports...
Old 08-21-2001, 09:45 AM

My Report

The Launch...

The Tarps...

The Island...

The Crew...

The Bone!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:44 AM

I think I caught a Cold from our Early Monday Morning Adventure with Mother Nature. I just slept fow 11 hours & I still don't have the Brain Power to put down words, so here's another image (BTW: I am now wasting a V-Day Sick!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.