Rod Building Question? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2001, 08:16 PM
Recent Member

Rod Building Question?

This may be the wrong place to ask but I'll try tapping into the vast knowledge pool here anyway... My friend Captain Shawn has been building some rods for fishing off his boat but when he mixes his flex coat it comes out with a "filmy" finish. He has used different batches of mix and it still happens. His shop is air conditioned and dehumidified, basically climate controlled. At first we thought it was old flex coat, but it happened with the new stuff that he just got. My thought is something in the shop,maybe a leak in the AC system but it's getting frustrating to him so he asked me to see if I could get ideas from you guys. Any thoughts from the rod builders out there would be appeciated, Thanks....
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2001, 08:36 PM

I assume you are refering to the coating for the thread raps. I use DEVCON 2-ton clear epoxy mixed to MFG. specsand have never experienced any hazy or cloudy results.
I also thin down the first application with a slight amt of alcohol to get good penetration initally into the wraps. Any bubles that become intraped into the next coats can be removed by exhailing directly on those areas while the rod section is rotating. Cure time dose not seem to be effected by the slight addition of the alcohol.
My .02
saltRon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2001, 08:49 PM

You might want to ask the question on http://www.rodbuilding.org/. I can't remember if it was there, but I recently saw a post somewhere that blamed fisheyes on not cleaning a rod before finishing it. Something about silicone. Sorry, I can't be more of a help.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:43 AM

One of our main sponsors and a 20 year acquaintance of mine is Smitty over at Rod Builder's Workshop. He has built more rods and taught more rod builders than probably anyone on the east coast, and is not only a great source of rare components but is a wealth of experience and knowledge. Many in this community have built their own rods with him and you'd be well off to at least ask him any rod building question you might have.

His site is:

http://rodbuildersworkshop.com

But I recommend you drop him an email or give him a call, he's a great conversationalist. (clickable info on the site)

regards,
Juro

BTW - really enjoy your reports and I look forward to meeting you as soon as I can get over on the ferry
Old 09-03-2001, 07:51 AM

What is your buddy using to mix the epoxy in, and how long is he mixing it? I mix the mix for about 90-120 seconds and heat both parts of the epoxy in a warm water bath before I combine the two. I don't use wood stir sticks - instead sticking to plastic coffeee stir sticks and small plastic cups. A friend of mine has cut an aluminum can in half and cleaned it with acetone before mixing and has had good results.

To me it sounds like there may be some impurity on the wraps, blank that is causing the milky color - or the epoxy is not completely mixed. You have to mix the epoxy until it is clear, that is why it takes about 90 seconds of slow mixing (more like folding in than mixing). Maybe your friend isn't getting equal amounts of both parts - and that could cause some problems.

The rodbuilding section of www.flyshop.com and the rodbuilding guild are both good places to find information.

Good luck,

Pete
Old 09-03-2001, 11:00 PM
Recent Member

It is hard to tell exactly what you mean by "filmy" but I take it to mean that the finish is cloudy. If that is so, it may be because of air bubbles introduced when mixing the epoxy. You can get very good results if you mix part A with two or three drops of acetone and then add part B. Fold the two parts together rather than whipping them. Just after you apply the finish to the wraps, lightly pass a lighter under the wraps to pop any remaining air bubbles.

If you are getting a milky finish, It may be from not letting a water base color preserver dry long enough. If it is not "cured" long enough, The finish will look milky. Hope this helps you.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:45 PM

After spending most of the afternoon gluing prototypes together at work this thought popped into my head.
Is your friend using a syringe to measure the epoxy prior to mixing? Many syringes have a rubber tipped plunger coated with a lubricant incompatible with epoxy finishes. The ones from Flex Coat are ok but others may not be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.