Monomoy afternoon - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2001, 10:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Monomoy afternoon

Wife and kids headed north before traffic so I took the opportunity to take Rip Ryder to North Monomoy for some sight fishing. I heard there are lots of big fish and they are not taking anything. Just the challenge I wanted!

Long story short I ended up with 8 fish of which 5 were legal in just under 4 hours fishing, all sight fished. My biggest of the day was about 33" but only three of them were under 30". It's a kick seeing them take, although I saw so many not take it.

Although traffic was hell I smiled all the way home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2001, 05:28 AM

I am interested in your report on North*Monomoy flats fishing. For me it is difficult to get rid of my fresh water roots. What I miss is seeing the fish take the fly as in dry fly fishing. To stand in*a drop off and blind cast is what I call ditch fishing. What fly did they take?
FishHawk
Old 08-27-2001, 08:20 AM
Recent Member

Juro - Can you give quick directions to rip ryder? I'm headed to the Cape Wed. and I'm thinking of doing Thursday or Friday morning. Does the shuttle run during the week?
Old 08-27-2001, 10:21 AM
President of CAC

Juro, with the right tide I am planning a North Monomoy trip for some sight fishing this weekend... let me know if you are planning the same and we can go together.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:29 AM

John - you're on! I am not 100% for the weekend (school starting, moving, etc) but one of the days should be do-able. Morning flood - sun at our backs and high mid-day!

With all the hot venues around this weekend it might be tought but we might consider chartering the early bird since it's a very early low tide.

BTW - please look for a very important post about a call to duty for our rights to access Monomoy!
Old 08-27-2001, 11:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
J & J,

I'd be game for the early-bird.

Let me know.

J
Old 08-27-2001, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Jim McC (08-27-2001 08:20 a.m.):
Juro - Can you give quick directions to rip ryder? I'm headed to the Cape Wed. and I'm thinking of doing Thursday or Friday morning. Does the shuttle run during the week?
Hi Jim -

Coming from route 6, heading east, you should take exit 11. This will put you on route 137, go south toward Harwich / Chatham.

You will come up to a Dunkin Donuts that opens at 5am, 24 Stop and Shop on the left, and the Benson's Fishing the Cape if you need anything in the fly fishing department. Give Bob a call for their hours.

Head straight south and follow 137 all the way to route 28. Take a left. Go thru the rotary and thru CHatham, take a right at the end. The lighthouse and overlook of the inlet is a short ways down the road. note: If it's not early in the day you might take a look at a map for ways around Main street.

Once at the lighthouse, continue past it and down the hill - don't follow the road as it curves right. You will come up to a right turn, Morris Island Rd. Go right.

Drive to the other end of the causeway (water on both sides) and you can park down at the far end. Ed Lincoln will pick you up in the red van -or- you can walk up to the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge HQ where the shuttle leaves from.

They run every day, about every hour from 8am to 5pm. Hours may change during the offseason. Best thing to do is call first, 508.945.5450 and check out http://monomoyislandferry.com

NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO RISE TO DEFEND THE ACCESS TO MONOMOY, stay tuned
Old 08-27-2001, 11:49 AM
Middle Aged Member

I too have a fractured weekend, with my son moving into school on Sunday. Looks like I'll get a pass for a quality fishing day on Saturday. Preseason goal was to spend sometime learning the sight fishing game over at NM. Have not got there yet. I'm definitely game for Saturday.

Fred A.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:59 PM

Hey guys,
count me in for this WE, sat,sun or monday, let me know.
Have boat will travel, do we need it, want it ?
Old 08-27-2001, 04:30 PM

That's very generous, let's hook up one way or the other. Glad you're going to be around.

This promises to be a high energy weekend for fishing the Cape... worth a bit of thinking through...

Did you see any hardtails while out this past weekend?

I love to sight fish, it's one of my worst addictions - but hooking and losing a bonito out of a bursting pod on the BCIII has me itching to score before the albies show up in force. I know several of us met the same fate and are equally motivated. According to 'those in the know' like Steve Moore you won't find them together often so we're on the cusp of hard to find bonito around our neck of the woods. That's a high contender.

Of course with the ultra-picky bass on the Monomoy flats, if you want to feel total gratification over a 30" bass, that's the place to do it. It's the other 100 that might get you a little flustered, but it's a real cat and mouse game and if you didn't get it on your agenda for 2001 you SHOULD before it's too late!

Back beaches have been epic lately, with blitzes so big they put us humans in our place. First a big wave of keeper bass, then hordes of big blues... big water, big fish and there are enough of with oversand permits to scope out the huge spread from the race down to Chatham. Finding one of these biblical blitzes could make one's whole season!

Still a bit early but very soon the bayside will go ballistic. Two years ago the 3-4" bunker came onto the flats at Brewster and hid there from the marauding bass and blues, but when they came in to feed it was carnage like you read about. Any bunker pattern (bigeye baitfish, buffy, deceiver, etc) would get inhaled greedily.

Over the next several weeks the much-overlooked southside from Hardings to Craigville will be swarmed with migrating gamefish, although they don't set up camp like they do on Monomoy they pass thru with a vengeance around the river mouths on Nantucket Sound. No urgency on that at the moment, it's still a few weeks off.

So the choices are one more hardtail hunt to close the deal, or get into the meelee at the elbow of the cape... if we get enough boats together, the hardtail hunt might work. Otherwise we could spread out over the cape's hot corner and compare notes over steamers and a beer Sat afternoon. Nauset / South Beach / North Monomoy flats spread, rendezvous at Squires, etc.

It was fun fishing alone (in fact I was the lone wader on the entire west side flats!) but I also want to log some quality time with friends before the winter rolls in.

Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2001, 05:14 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Well,

I have clearance for Saturday fishing (all I had to say was, "Honey. Jeff Borkowski is going to be there." and that got the green light). My personal opinion, Monomoy and South Beach. This year - I have yet to take a bass from the Monomoy flats, I have yet to catch a 30 inch fish. Chatham/Monomoy is the place to do it and I think I will head there.

Then again, if I found a way to get onto somebody's boat then I would go for hard tails in a heartbeat. That is, unless some shore reports tell me that bonito are consistently in close to shore. Then it is tunoid time.

-Mike
Old 08-27-2001, 05:57 PM

Mike -

I would say that you would maximize your chances if you could get the evening in over at Nauset or another big backside beach in addition. I would save the late afternoon and evening for a big beach somewhere. If you don't find a massive bluefish blitz you might find cows in the wash.

I am in the same situation (bass vs. bone) although I'm starting to feel that my chances for big bass are only getting better while my chances for a bone in 2001 are within a narrow window of opportunity. If I get a chance to chase hardtail, I am going to take it. Great bass fishing is right around the corner.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Ian and I are headed down for the weekend. What time is the rip rider rendevous for Saturday?
Old 08-27-2001, 09:02 PM

Juro, count me in for any day on the weekend. As i indicated on the post to John M I need a stripping basket. If John can't accomodate me, maybe you can drop in and get one for me. Heck at $5.00, I can afford 2!
I'll keep looking a the Board but my last access will be Thursday PM, after that leave me a message at the Edgewater.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.