Monomoy access - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2001, 08:22 AM

Monomoy access

Juro,
I'll bite...you've been hinting that we will have to fight for access soon. What's brewing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2001, 08:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Apparently, the town of Chatham has voted to shut down the causeway for public access. This would mean that our ability to access our beloved federal reserve would be cut off because townfolk are pissy about the parking on the causeway. It's mostly the residents of the neck out there on Quitnesset / Morris Island. Once again, the personal wants of the few overrule the rights of the many on Cape Cod. Where the hell will it end, when there is no patch of land left for public use?

If there was ever a cause to fight for, this is it. Keith is going to provide a list of key officials to target, and PLEASE whether you live in New England or England, pacific northwest or south america - we need you to write to petition for our rights to enjoy the Monomoy Federal Wildlife Preserve!

Stay tuned for more information, and get ready to hold the line against private self-interests.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:52 PM

I've been following this issue in the local Chatham paper (www.capecodchronicle.com) for the past few weeks. What is clear is that the Town is attempting to work out a solution for the parking "problem(s)" along the causeway.

A committee studied the problem and recommended that the the vehicles be moved off the causeway and onto a paved parking area that would be built on property adjacent to the roadway. This proposed solution would keep the same amount of parking spaces as was allowed on the street.

As you might imagine, many residents were outraged by this "solution". For that matter, so am I. Remember the words to that Jonie Mitchell song?... "pave paradise and put up a parking lot."

Anyway, the matter is under study by the Selectmen. Get involved.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I think adding a parking area to a street is quite normal, and I also say why not let the residents and commercial folks have it so it won't attract more "riff raff". I don't even want to park in it.

A main part of the problem is the narrow width of the causeway itself. I say if we just widen it that would sustain the status quo but get rid of the bad experience of trying to drive through it when cars are parked. If it were like a 'normal' road with parking alongside (instead of being so narrow and restrictive) then no one would even consider it 'congested'.

It's so skinny it's almost as bad as Main St in Chatham! Strangely, no one is complaining about people going there }>
Old 08-29-2001, 08:08 PM
President of CAC

There is no parking problem. I expanded completely on the other board. The town put the lot in issue... so the must BE a problem. It's the wealthy of Morris Island simply trying to expand their "gated community". It is a class issue pure and simple. They will be defeated. >(
Old 08-29-2001, 08:58 PM

If they build a parking lot will there be a fee? $8.00 or $15.00?

The lighthouse lot is a nuisance too. Why don't they close that?
I'm with John, it IS a class issue.

Lefty
Old 08-29-2001, 10:03 PM

POWER TO THE PEOPLE.... RIGHT ON!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.