Exotic hunt 9/2-9/3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2001, 03:02 PM

Exotic hunt 9/2-9/3

With tales of plentiful bonito, skipjack, and mahi-mahi dancing through our heads Mike and I made our hopeful way to Sakonnet and Point Judith this Labor Day weekend. We fished a full day on Saturday and a half day on Sunday with little to show for our efforts. Our highest hope was for mahi-mahi and the closest we came was a mess of nice scupi-scupi. - I wish I'd had my 4wt for those scup (that would have been a blast!) Other fish caught were black bass(?), one nice schoolie, and one nice blue. Our hopes dashed we headed for the cape to catch the last bit of sun on Monday. We didn't hook up but at least we saw breaking fish which is a lot more than we saw in RI. Oh well, as I'm fond of saying of those tough fishing days - The fishing was great, the catching left something to be desired.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2001, 03:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gregg -

You guys deserve the "A+" for effort though, always taking the bull by the horns. You'll get that shark on the fly soon!

Reports are that the exotics have pushed forward to B-bay, the Elizabeths and Vineyard, probably a good bet around Lackeys, Nobska, even South Cape next time out(?)
Old 09-04-2001, 03:35 PM

Gregg,
That was my #2 pick for the Holiday weekend (but Cape not RI). I think the Idea of the crowds drove me away. As BobP put it: "it's a good weekend to stay OFF the water!" (especially on the Cape!)

I agree with Juro: "A+ for effort!"
Old 09-05-2001, 05:38 PM

Gregg:

We traveled a long way yesterday, from upper Buzzards Bay to the Cuttyhunk area and through every part of the Vineyard and found one small pod of Bones. That was it as we found no bass, or sizable blues....it was scary in that we saw almost no other boats or fisherman anywhere.......hopefully the next push of fish will move in soon.......

John
Old 09-05-2001, 06:09 PM

Gregg, you should've been up the bay a ways. I saw a couple of the most amazing bluefish blitzes I've ever witnessed saturday and sunday up near Barrington. Both times the fish were out of flycasting range, but the pluggers hooked up pretty regularly. The blitz on saturday had two boats fishing and on sunday there was one boat out for a little while.

I also heard rumors of skippies up inside, but I didn't personally see any landed.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.