Chat/N. Mono/B-Bay 09/02/01 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2001, 10:33 AM

Chat/N. Mono/B-Bay 09/02/01

Got to CAC around 9:30 PM Sat., John, thanks again for the Flop & the Social. After some Zz’s, we were up & off to Larry’s PX for Breakfast at 4:30. The wind was a little stiff, but off to the Light. Walked to the point at predawn; the tide was dropping & the bars were setting up in Classic Big Girl Form. As it got light, the birds could be seen all over. Glorious sunrise & despite the stiff breeze I thought we were in for a Classic show. All the ingredients were there, except the Fish!

7:30 off to the shuttle. Hooked up with BobP, & Brian Casey; Juro & Aaron just caught the first Shuttle too. We walked to the SW end of the Island. Tide was bottomed-out & the Flats lay before us in all of their natural beauty. Juro set us up in a position which was good with the N wind at our backs. The Sun was on our Left & combined with the chop it made a tough Glare for sight casting. Thankfully as the flood started the Fish made their appearance. I hooked up first with a nice 25” Blondie, then Juro had several hookups. Fish moving Left to Right (E->W) were tough; by the time you saw them though the Glare you were casting behind them. The best you could do is alert the next guy to your Right [“Here Comes a Pod of ‘N ‘coming your way!”] Fish moving Right to Left (W->E) were better because you could sight your own fish & put the Fly in their Path! A pod of five fish past Bob & moved towards me; I dropped a sandeel in front of the lead fish; let it sink, strip, strip; saw the fish surge ahead; WHAM! On the reel instantly then a burning drag. A bass in ~3’ of water has only one choice, run like mad ZZZzzZZzzzZZZ! Landed and released a nice 31” fish; first Flats Legal for me! As the flood continued we worked East; a stiff current E->W started to move across the Bar, which made fly presentation that much more challenging! Bob found a nice Pod milling in the current & proceeded to hook a nice Schoolie in about 15” of water! Juro then spotted a Pod of bigger fish & coached Arron, who made a perfect cast & WHAM-MO; his 8-wgt was put to the test, but he handed a strong 29” fish like an old Pro. Only then did we find out that this was Aaron’s First Striper! How many people can say that their first striper was a legal, caught on a fly, on the flats & sight casted to! We decided to catch the 1:00 shuttle, but Brian decided to stay awhile Longer. I wonder how he made out? As we walked to the pickup point we talked about how perfect a day it was. The fishing was not easy, but the challenge made it that much more gratifying! I really felt that I had to pick it up a notch & challenge my skills, but that’s what made it great. We parted ways at the Causeway. Arron got some nice pictures; I hope they come out!

CONTINUED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2001, 10:34 AM

I headed to Bourne with the intention of taking a Nap & doing some evening shore fishing with my Dad. When I got there (~16:00) I found that he had trapped a bucket of Chubs & made plans to go out with my brother in law on his boat. They planned to do some late afternoon Fluking & seg-way into some early evening striper/blue fishing. I thought, fine I’ll take a nap & head home early. After a two hour nap some Coffee & food I got a (semi) second wind. I decide to hit one of my favorite B-Bay shore spots, but I would only fish if there were sure signs of action. It was about an hour before the top of the tide; the flooded grass was loaded with silversides. The schoolies were in close & blusting the bait into a silverside spray! I got my gear & rigged an Int. line with an epoxy silverside pattern. As I waded through the flooded grass, I pushed out more bait & triggered the fish to feed more! After many cast it was clear that the odds were not with me; my fly was one of a thousand distressed bait fish. I quickly changed to a floating line & popper in an attempt to stimulate. Many times I laid the popper Right into busting fish, no go. I switched to a spun deer hair black phantom, still no go. I switched back to Int. line & silverside pattern having decided to fight the odds. This was “night sight casting” in the moonlight I could see the pods of scared bait moving even before the fish broke. The fish were in 1-4’ of water & they were all around me. Never have I been in so much bait & fish, at such close range, for so long (~2 hours) & not hooked up. Great another challenge! I could see & hear that the breaking fish were mainly twinkies & schoolies, but about every 20th break would be the distinct “Ker-Splash” of a 15 pounder; that’s what keep me casting. Finally, I decided to do something dumb & I switched to a small Clouser, this did not seem like the thing to do with busting fish in shallow water! But, I did manage two fish; of course they were the twinkies & not the Big Boys that I Knew were around! Quit around 10:30 PM with fish still busting, but 05:30-22:30 is a Long day. Got home after midnight! Great day of fishing!

END
Old 09-03-2001, 02:22 PM

Grego's apt description of the flats action needs no more from me.... My thanks to Juro for his intimate knowlege that is ever ready to be shared. Us boat dudes have a lot to learn about trying to sigh-cast on the flats, and I'm at the back of the class. First step is to get a pair of sunglases that are properly polarized, I was getting tired of walking with my head canted at a 45* angle.. ;-(
I will say that when things finally started to come together (like I could start to see some of the fish! ) it was a blast trying to lead the pod and watch two or three of the lead dogs turn towards the fly...
Just wishing I hadn'r waited until the beginning of Sept to try this!
Thanks Grego, Brian and Joro for the enthusiasm and encouragment. Way to go Aaron! Nice fish to be your first stiper on the fly.
Old 09-03-2001, 04:51 PM

Nice job guys - sorry I missed it.
Old 09-03-2001, 05:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

What a great morning of sight casting, not nearly as many fish as the weekend before coming onto the flats but few dull moments just the same.

Bob - your modesty is deceptive; I have a memory of you placing a fly in a shin deep flat in blazing bright sun and getting the stealthy flats striper on your first cast! In fact I would have killed for a video camera as I stood there watching the whole sequence.

And GregO was definitely in a groove as the fish came up the darker lower flat, nice presentation/nice fish landed dude!

The secondary flat brings the fish early in the flood, but it is difficult at best to spot their approach. Aaron was having a tough time until a pod of 15 or so materialized in his casting lane.

Monomoy disciple Ron headed out to the other end of the structure to investigate the happenings.

Brian Casey batted "cleanup" by positioning himself strategically on a nice shoal. I turned around and saw him connecting with fish that had passed our casts up.

As the tide rose, we headed off the lower flat and BobP sniffed out a working pod and proceeded to land one from the pack.

On the upper deck, a much shallower sugary white flat, we made our way back toward the mainland when a pod came across our path, barely visible but for the shadowy mirage-like shadows in the shin deep water. Bob placed his first cast like a bonefisher on the keys and with a flash and a hookset he's on.

Then we started to see pods of large fish, all legals with some in the cow class. Aaron, who was seeing them clearly by now, got his fly in the lane and next thing you know he's off to the races with his first striper / first legal!

Brian stayed on while the rest of us had to attend to responsibilities, but Brian - let me tell you I wished I could have stayed past the noon shuttle the whole rest of the day. I hope you got into 'em after we left.

GregO really had the hot hand on this day, and it appeared that his recent bonefish trip down on the Yucatan Peninsula put him into the 'groove'.

Great day, my only regret is that I couldn't get Chris and Darryl to head out when I encountered them on the lighthouse beach.

With so few sight fishing days left in this amazing season, I couldn't think of a better time and better crew to enjoy the bluebird day with. An awesome day, I won't soon forget.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:10 PM
President of CAC

Juro... why do I make such stupid decisions... Next time I will be going with you.... for sure... but the Mecca in two weeks in the morning ...or North Monomoy. OK.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I know how you feel, John. It seemed like I was in the wrong spot every time too. ??? Next time !!
Old 09-04-2001, 08:43 AM

>>First step is to get a pair of sunglases that are properly polarized, I was getting tired of walking with my head canted at a 45* angle<<

Bob, I have two words for you: "VAUR NET"

These babies are designed to defeat Snow-glare & there's nothing worse!
Old 09-04-2001, 08:58 AM
President of CAC

Bob... I have several with different lens colors for different conditions.. They are Maui Jims and Action optics... check those out. Also, if you want I have a pair of Marquesses from Orvis, Copper with Sun Shades on the side. I can give them to you.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:03 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A few years back on the Kalama River chasing summer steelhead out west I noticed that changing the angle of my head let me see much better into the water.

Recently on South Beach flats with Jim Doogue I mentioned it to Jim and it was kinda funny looking at the two of us tilting our heads. It worked, I landed a 33" and a couple shorts, he lead and hooked his forst sight fished striper.

Sunday morning on the North Monomoy flats we were all doing a little head tilting and the conversation led to a few interesting discoveries - looking one way visibility improves tilting left, the other right. According to GregO, the polarization method for Vuarnets does not exhibit this trend. I'll have to see it to believe it, but I am sure he's right.

The credit for invention of polarization may go to some scientist, but the principle was taken from the eskimos who would cut slits into wooden eye covers to cut out ice glare in the polar regions.

I still like polycarbonate for it's shatterproof tendencies although they require extra care. My current favorites are Fishermen's Eyewear model 90301 avail at Costco for $49, all purpose charcoal. Not the best in low light but I never need sunglasses in low light anyway. They work well for me sight fishing and driving and that's what counts.

Although the fish counts were way down from the weekend before we still saw 100 or more fish and everyone scored. Great company and incredible weather too. I hope we get more days like that in!
Old 09-04-2001, 09:57 AM
Recent Member

Hey sounds like you guys had a good time on the flats. Me personally: I was out off of the lighthouse in my father's new boat, mostly with spinning tackle, and killed them, the biggest being 37",but brought my fly stuff and took many casts, with no luck. Maybe next time. What was the fly pattern you guys had the most luck with, If you could let me know the recipe and maybe a pic if possable. I will be hedding up in a few weeks and need some good patterns from the experts. Thanks, Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.