Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead on a fly

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Doublespey 
#1 ·
There is nothing that compares to hooking a steelhead on a light wire hook, on the surface, with a light two-handed spey rod and listening to the reel sing.

I've fished for 30 years on the Clearwater River in Idaho and would not trade the experience for all the tea in China.

Floating line, light wire hooks, and long rods are the ticket!

If you have not given it a try you've missed something special.

#2 ·
OUCH! I have tried it, and loved it, and moved from it to preserve a family and marriage after 12 years in the Pacific Northwest.

I open my Wheatley on a frigid winter day, and tears well up in my eyes thinking of the evening giant sedge hatches on a summer run stream.

But alas my wife has her parents, they have gotten their health back, and I have frequent flyer miles! There is hope.

Keep them steelie posts comin'

Juro

#3 ·
Welcome to a Voice from East of the Cascades!

I can second Cl)0)0)0's affection for the Clearwater - an October morning touched with fog swinging a #4 green-butted purple or sunlit evening spent skating muddlers for oversized summer steelies on the Clearwater is certainly as good as it gets.

Makes me long for summer fishing with a floating line!

DoubleSpey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.