Block Island - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2001, 11:56 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Block Island

All,

There may be a chance that I can get out to Block Island and stay with a friend during the early October or early November time period.

Question for you all: when is the peak of the fall run in the Block Island area?

How about the spring run?

Any Rhode Island experts out there with the answers to my questions?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2001, 10:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Check this out Mike...
http://www.blockisland.com/marine/fishing.htm

Anywhere near the outlet of the big pond?
Old 08-29-2001, 06:14 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Juro,

Excellent article. Thank you. Now I NEED to find out more about my friend's place out there - and I hope that it is near the big pond!

-Mike
Old 08-29-2001, 08:47 AM

It sounds great, although the offshore fishing in the area is renown the shoreline angling sounds fantastic and is probably less exploited than most of such caliber. Please count me in if you have room!
Old 08-29-2001, 07:36 PM

Blockclave ?
Old 08-29-2001, 07:53 PM

Sounds good, swordfish on a fly anyone?

I haven't researched this yet but obviously the island has the reputation of being a swordfish, even an occasional sailfish (white marlin, etc) spot.

The island itself, like Cuttyhunk, sounds like a fascinating place to explore and should be as fishy as the legend itself!
Old 08-29-2001, 09:15 PM
Wanna be striper bum

I am working on a Block Clave option and I hope that it comes together. I will keep you all posted. I hear that people are catching mahi mahi and skipjack off of the Rhody coast. That would be incredible. I would "settle" for some albias or bonito though.

We shall see what comes together...
Old 09-07-2001, 06:49 AM
Wanna be striper bum

All,

Some of you know that I have been looking to reserve a house on Block Island (BI) for the weekend of September 22nd. A good friend of mine at work owns and rents a place out there.

I have been able to reserve his 4 bedroom house (Southern BI - 13 minutes drive from the big pond) for that weekend at the rate of $230/night. That is the going rate for his place and I made sure to pay that rate because I was not looking for any favors from my pal other than a weekend rental. It is tough to even find a weekend rental on Block Island.

Soooo....here is the way I want to set up the weekend for anyone that is interested in heading out to BI and fishing for exotics and for cow stripers. First of all, I feel the need to limit the number of people that can stay at the house - per my friend's request. I am going to limit the number to 8 people. Assuming we have 8 people then attendance will cost $57.50 total for 2 nights ($28.75/night). We would arrive by ferry (leaves from Point Judith, RI) on Friday night and leave on Sunday.

We have a legit shot at some exotics from shore if we make this happen. I called the Orvis shop on the island and they confirmed that this should be prime time for exotics from shore. The striper fishing on the island can also be incredible so if we head out there and fish we may enjoy the best of both worlds.

If anyone is interested, please try to confirm in the next couple of days because I have not reserved the place yet. I want to prove interest in the house before I am there alone paying $230/night. We must book the house 10 days in advance so the trip will not happen if we do not have eight people that sign on by the evening of 10/12. Right now I am in and I believe that Jeff Borkowski is game for the trip too.

If you are interested in going on this trip then just respond to this post.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-11-2001, 05:19 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Well,

Block Clave I is officially dead. After bugging many of you via personal e-mail I was still only able to gather a few souls that wanted to participate in Block Clave I.

I will try to resurrect the Block Clave next season. With more warning (time wise) and a little more advanced planning I can get you all drooling to go out and fish Block Island.

Thanks to you all for putting up with the barrage of private e-mail.

-Mike
Old 09-11-2001, 05:30 PM
Middle Aged Member

Bugging Who?

That was a super offer and would have been great time. I wish I could have responded with a positive confirmation but it wasn't to be.

Thanks again Mike,

Fred A.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:09 AM

Mike -

The only thing that bugged me about it was that I couldn't go! Thanks for the effort and save me a spot when we do this with a little more advance planning. The prospect of fishing in one of the world's best known gamefish centers (from stripers to swordfish) has got me salivating already.
Old 09-12-2001, 04:28 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hey Mike,

I would have signed up for at least two for that weekend as I think it's open and I'd love to go. Sorry I didn't see the invite sooner. Maybe next year we could try again.

Perhaps alittle more notice for those of us
that don't check out this site every nite.

Also I think starting a new thread like block Island clave or something would have caught my eye better.

Thanks again for posting the offer though, it sounds like a good deal and great fishing.

Greg.
Old 09-12-2001, 05:42 PM
Fluff

I'd have opted in for this one too as it sounds like a great opportunity - I was away from a computer due to my damn knee surgery and didn't see this thread until last night. What a great idea. Oh, well, maybe another time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.