A note on Boneclave... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2001, 12:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A note on Boneclave...

As the season beings to wane a bit, the cool nights remind us that 2001 is not permanent, and as each tide floods and ebbs tying season comes closer and closer. Six months ago when I reserved Washburn Island's group site, the season was a promise and a dream. Now that the reservations will be put to use, the season is more than half gone.

We are about to partake in what has become somewhat of a tradition, a celebration of sorts in the arrival of exotics to our region, and a chance to experience that fish camp feeling in it's purest form. In doing so people invariably gain knowledge, forge freindships, and log experiences that don't fade quickly, if ever.

Yet this, like all claves, is not about personal gratification. It's not just about catching. It's not even just about the fishing. Hell no. It's about doing whatever we all can to make these few days incredible for all who participate, and in doing so making it incredible for ourselves. For a couple of days, we'll act in ways that make everyone successful, and because of it there will be plenty of personal success for all.

There are many times throughout the season to fish for personal success, scorn others in "your" hole, hide your secrets from fellow anglers on the scene - in fact the vast majority of days are just that. The Boneclave is not one of these times. Far from it.

From Sunday to Tuesday, let's fish for the good times that we won't soon forget and find success in the collective experience for everyone who attends.

I think that by doing so, we live true to the legacy that flyfishermen around the world have earned over many centuries, and add our own page to this saga.

It will be my extreme pleasure and privilege to attend Boneclave with my fellow members of the Forum this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2001, 12:41 PM
Here fishy fishy

Hear hear!
Old 08-16-2001, 01:17 PM
Flats Rat

Well said Juro!

Sadly I can't join the team this coming week-end but based upon my previous experiences with the group this season it will be a memorable experience fo all.

My next trip will almost certainly be in September and I hope to catch up with the regulars at that time for some memorable end-of-season action.

Have an awesome time this week-end and post pics a.s.a.p!
Old 08-16-2001, 01:35 PM

Ya baby!

To the sound of "Leaving On a Jet Plane":

Oh my rods are packed, an extra rain coat
Exotics are waitin, to swim under the boat
Already I feel ticks inside my tent...

Hooking a Bone , is my supreme goal
Spanish Macks biting, out at Succowhatisit Shoal
Already my drags melting into smoke...

OK nevermind....There are Claves, then there's the Boneclave. It deserves our best efforts. I look forward to this Fish Camp every year.

Lefty (or Terry to all the guys who go way back)
Old 08-16-2001, 05:35 PM

Oh no, bug group hug coming up.

It's a great and diverse group of sportsmen of different ages, different occupations, different politcal views all enjoying the same thing. Fly fishing and the outdoors.

Look forward to learning a few more new tricks.

Roop
Old 08-16-2001, 06:02 PM

Mike Estey's chili... no there won't be any group hug, but there might be a Blazing Saddles re-enactment! }>

All I can say is, we ought to thank the guy who invented camping for deciding it needed to be done outdoors.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:55 PM

This will be my 1st Boneclave. I'm looking forward to it. Camping, fishing, camaraderie; You can't beat it. I remember that chili from a couple years ago at RhodyFest, good stuff. I'll bring the fire extinguisher
Old 08-16-2001, 08:32 PM
Middle Aged Member

I've been looking forward to this since reading about it as a lurker two years ago. First it seemed like a great time and second, I had spent time in that area in a couple of past lives. My mother lived on Hamblin's Pond for a few years in the late seventies. Once in awhile we'd pile into several skiffs and a day sailor and go to "the beach", either west of the jetty or, if it was a bit rough, on the inside in the vicinity of site 9. Had some of those real nice endless summer days out there.

In another clave thread someone mentioned brownies which brought back foggy memories of an even earliar life, late sixties - early seventies. I recall having "brownies" for breakfast at the "summer rental" then going to South Cape beach, floating on my back, verrry relaxed and wondering casually if anything was there (sharks, etc.) and not caring.... What was I going to say.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to it.

Fred A.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:36 PM

All I can say is: "The Tips Are Marinating." With the larger head count I went 7 lbs.

I tied some flies, but I have a Ton of organizing & packing to do, which will must get done between Friday evening & Saturday afternoon.

And I (we) still have to get through one more day of work!

I'm really getting pumped to fish my brains out for 2.5 days!
Old 08-17-2001, 05:57 AM

Well said Juro.Its not about the fishing but the friends that you make. I won't be at this Clave but will attend others. Where else can you find people like the Iron Man of Chatham to fish with. See you on the next Rip Trip!!
FishHawk
Old 08-17-2001, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Juro,Excellent mindset, wish I were going.
I'm wondering as to whether for next year, the dates for the bone clave could be determined by the time many folks bid on vacations, ie November to February? :-(
Old 08-17-2001, 04:29 PM

Absolutely Chris, in fact reservations need to be made so early that this would be a smart thing to do.

How is the fishing downeast lately?
Old 08-17-2001, 06:29 PM

I feel like the little green man with the big teeth, just can't stop smillin, can't wait to get there. I met some great guys at the spring clave, and I anticipate another barn burner commin up.
Adrian, you will be missed, Sept. 17th I will be on vacation for the week, let's get together, maybe I could bring the boat to chatham.

Juro, and all the rest, thanks for organizing these great times.
Old 08-18-2001, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Stripers have been very good. Rented a yak and put in at Spirit Pond Popham and did real well. Paddled down the tidal creek toward open ocean packs of fish were marauding all through the estuary. We waitedout the boniest low of the tide catching flounder on bloodworms to kill time until the tide flooded the creek again. I took the family up to Grand Lake Stream last week but it was so hot the smallies didn't even cooperate much. Could have trolled for togue and LL's but it's really not my bag especially when its as brutally hot as blast week. I should have a new flats boat come next boneclave so as soon as you have the reservations for the site post it and I'll secure the vacation time. I should get down to the cape in September for some more fishing. Havce a great trip guys.
Chris :-D
Old 08-18-2001, 10:16 AM

Chris -

I already have a design for the boneclave window stickers, can I get your friend to do another batch? Just let me know what we needs if he is willing.

I can't tell you how much we all appreciate the last batch, I only have two left after running into several spring clave attendees over the last few weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.