the big one on an eight weight(but wait till ya hear how) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2001, 10:49 AM

the big one on an eight weight(but wait till ya hear how)

hey, i live in brewster and this is my first post. ok here it is, I was fishing at stage light about 2 weeks ago, when their was an early morning high. i landed a couple just under size. then on a epoxy sand eel i caught a snapper blue. he was hooked fairly well from the bottom lip, so for some reason i thought what the hell. so with my 8 weight i lobbed the snapper blue out a little ways. well it drifted out and soon after line began to flow fast. i loosened the drag to running speed and let it go for a couple seconds and then cranked down on the drag and gave a couple hard strip sets. well i started loosing line fast so i tightend up a tiny bit more. it was a strong fish but i was able to head him toward the beach with the help of the out going current. then some guy crosses me with a kastmaster. so i had to tell him to just keep the slack out of the line. finally we got that squared away. i landed the fish. it was a 44 inch, 24 pound bass. well i thought some of you might find that amusing. nice to be apart of the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2001, 11:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's a monster, I'll be tying big snapper blue patterns for my next outing ;-)

I've had a similar experience but the fish never took the little blue. Sure had me anxious for 20 seconds while it scoped the situation out!
Old 09-24-2001, 11:34 AM
Middle Aged Member

Ton's of snappers all over. I was annoyed when I hooked one yesterday at Cold Storage. As I was leaving I stopped at a spot where I've had some success and snappers were all over the place. Tried to hook one for tying reference but could'nt.

Juro, you have a recipe? I'm thinking a Deciever type with a profile between mid (silverside) and wide body (bunker).

Fred A.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

One of the biggest stripers I've ever hooked was using a large bigeye baitfish style fly when I spotted large fish chasing snapper blues on the southside. That was the same fall season when I had the big cow chaser on a hooked snapper blue. It rubbed me off on the end of the jetty that was 50 yards from where I hooked it on the last strip before casting again. Only difference between the Page Rogers original and that fly was that I omitted the leaf beneath the eye and used softex to form the head. The fly is in the archive under "juvie".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.