Shark - No. Tip of So. Monomoy - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2001, 02:56 PM

Shark - No. Tip of So. Monomoy

Saturday, while fishing the flat on the north tip of south Monomoy from a boat, my guest (from Colorado with no saltwater fishing experience) announced that there was a large shark at his end of the boat. I could track the very large dark shape as it swam toward the beach where the dorsal began to slice through the water. It was very definitely a shark. I have no idea as to what kind. Waders take heed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2001, 03:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Brendan -

Thanks for the warning! As you know that's a favorite spot after the rookery and those flats on the north side sure lend themselves to wading out far from shore.

Titanium breathables?
Old 09-25-2001, 04:01 PM
President of CAC

Brendan... I was hoping to fish that spot this weekend.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:05 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I figured there might be some really big sharks around with all those seals around.
I guess it is just a matter of time until
someone spots one around the channel. Was it
cruising the flats in just a couple of feet of water and chasing fish? That could make for an eye opening wading experience. I don't mind sharing fishing spots, But can't say I'd be too comfortable with a 10 or 12 foot shark swimming around me while fishing.
I hope that spot doesn't get too popular with the sharks.

It sure is a great wading/fishing spot. Not sure I want to mention that to my son Brandon
as it is one of his new favorite spots to wade.

Greg.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:15 AM

Years ago a co-worker was fishing a sandbar across a river mouth on an incoming tide before work. He heard another fisherman sloshing along the bar coming towards him but this guy was more than a bit intense about his fishing so he didn't initially pay much attention. When he did, he realized that the fellow fisherman was a shark.

Fortunately this guy always released his fish and never dressed his flies with pogy oil so the shark apparently had little interest in him. He did arrive at work still pretty excited though.

Just an observation. And maybe wearing waders with seal spot camo patterns wouldn't be a good idea.

Gordon
Old 09-26-2001, 12:43 PM

Close call for your friend Gordon! BTW - pogie oil is a long term distilled liquid that originated in Scotland, primarily from the Highlands or Islay regions. If we dressed our flies with that it might repel sharks, particularly Laphroiag }>
Old 09-28-2001, 08:11 AM

Just when I thought it was safe to go in the water, Damm.I still haven't gotten use to the seals yet. And my new $250. waders are kinda seal color. But, the fishing must go on. Hey, GregD, no, don't tell Brandon (future Pres. of FFF), we'll all keep an eye on him. Great kid
Old 09-28-2001, 10:50 AM

For everyone's reference, on the last north tip outing we met at Squire's for some food and beer afterward. GregD had his son along to Monomoy (Brandon of Boneclave fame). I've seen youngsters excited about fishing before but never like Brandon. It's uplifting and inspiring to watch his boundless energy turning over every rock or chasing minnows whenever he can't have a rod in his hands.

It dawned on me that one of our goals with the Forum should be to make it successful enough so that we can let Brandon earn a good honest living as the president of the organization someday. Greg - send him to a good school and get him ready, with me at the helm in the interim he's going to inherit a real mess! }>
Old 09-28-2001, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Keep mind that one of the largest migrations on the globe is unfolding in that stretch of ocean right now. If the gulf stream is hugging the coast then everything is moving along the coast. Pogies, macks, alewives adult and young of the year, and uncountable clounds of bait, gamefish and Greater predators and seals all funneled into the inshore corridor from Chatham to Montauk Point. All chasing the bait back south. There are bound to be a more visible population as Sharks as well.
Just the same, better inventory your toes.
Old 09-29-2001, 11:25 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I won't tell Brandon about the shark especially after finding some waders for him. Thanks Case we'll keep an eye on him. Any of us are pretty easy pickins wading in the channel, fortunately the odds of a problem are slim. The flats at least you have the benefit *usually* of being more likely to see it as well as more time to do something. I have had some sharks come right for me. There not as intimadating in a 1 and half of water, but when wading up to your chest that's alittle different when you can't move very far or fast or even see them at a distance.
The Cabelas suggestion worked out, I found kids waders in two models. He is alittle small for their smallest size, which should be perfect for next year. We both can't wait to get back to that spot again. Brandon even sat down and watched Chico Fernandaz's flycasting video with me, still having alittle trouble getting him to practice casting since he say's we should just be fishing instead. Hard to argue with that logic, especially since he landed the last striper. Just last weekend 25-26 inch schoolie, one of his largest this year. Hope to get him standing standing near a pack of oversized striped footballs on there way south this year.
JuroI know whatever state you were to leave the forum in would be fine with him. I expect he would relish the thought someday. Right now he's after me for those wader, fishing and a FLY TYING KIT! Yea after Juro laid those flies on him from the boneclave He's talking tying his own! He wants to buy one on each outing to add to his fly box. I think will have to tie up a bunch this winter.

Greg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.